Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ain’t reel sure why i did it,I was thinking about a rod to put my Baymaster on,a long rod in case I would use it for surf,but basically for large freshwater fish,you know channels ,stripers etc.I very rarely target big things in big waters but you know just so I could use the Baymaster for something.Im looking for cheap so I sniffed the air and smelled a estate sale about 5 miles away,I went there the guy told me he got rid of his fishin stuff 3 weeks ago,we then just were talking,friendly like about fishing and stuff ,he said he had Mitchells that he sold for good price,then we talked about Penns,and he suddenly brightened as he remembered he had one more and directed me to his garage where said he had a Penn and would take $25 for it,so I looked and found a Penn Senator,6/0! He said “you know that’s a good deal right?!” I said “well hell yeah!” And pulled out my last $25 he said “only because I can tell you like Penns and I won’t be using it anymore” he said also “if I had offered that to anyone for that price and they tried to talk the price down I would have told them to leave without it ! It was on a pole also ,I think a Garcia “Conolon”strong but not very long at all.
I’m glad I did not haggle,which is not something I do much of ,especially something that is obviously a great deal,but now I’m STILLlooking For a freshwater pole for my baymaster!

·
Premium Member
Southeast mo Mississippi river
1,350 Posts
Two of best deals I ever did paid asking price for Ruger bearcat 75 $
Lady selling late husband deer rifle asking 150 gave her 200 all I had at the time
Per 64 model 70 in 270

·
Registered
851 Posts
Here’s pics ….because I expected to hear” no pics -it doesn’t exist!” So I was waiting.I really got for those VW beetle size cats! View attachment 330670
View attachment 330672
View attachment 330671
View attachment 330674
View attachment 330673
Where do you live? I have about a 10' lamiglass I would trade for that rod. No use for the rod you have but one of my favorite rods from years ago was a Garcia. Do have three of four reels that would work on that rod just never fish for much I need them for. One is an old Garcia Mitchell 606 casting reel, not level wind. No clue what the other two are but one looks about new. If I'd had these when I got my sturgeon rod and reel all I would have got was a rod. Who know's maybe I need another sturgeon rod! You should be close by though as this rod I have is one piece and I'm not about to try and figure out how to ship it! I found this rod in an old abandoned carport and it's in pretty good shape. I have never seen a rod this big before.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don,
I live in N.Y in the Tri state area,NY,PA.,N.J. All come together there about 5 miles from where I live.I have a potential use for the Garcia pole and Senator reel,as I do sometimes fish off New Jersey ,it’s always been limited surf fishing,however the potential for deep water is there and within reach,so I would need a pole for the Senator reel,the need for a surfpole is also there and it seems the ten footer could also server me in that capacity,although to my understanding a bit short , but I don’t let such things as pole length stop me and 10 foot is certainly longer than any in my armory at the time and may be suitable for my Beachmaster or surfmaster and even the Baymaster,although a bit long for freshwater fishing .What are the maker and specs on the 10 footer,and what is your location?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don,
I live in N.Y in the Tri state area,NY,PA.,N.J. All come together there about 5 miles from where I live.I have a potential use for the Garcia pole and Senator reel,as I do sometimes fish off New Jersey ,it’s always been limited surf fishing,however the potential for deep water is there and within reach,so I would need a pole for the Senator reel,the need for a surfpole is also there and it seems the ten footer could also server me in that capacity,although to my understanding a bit short , but I don’t let such things as pole length stop me and 10 foot is certainly longer than any in my armory at the time and may be suitable for my Beachmaster or surfmaster and even the Baymaster,although a bit long for freshwater fishing .What are the maker and specs on the 10 footer,and what is your location?
Well know right about where you are. Just inside Penn on the north side of I80 is a big truck stop, can't remember the name anymore. Wait a min. maybe it was called state line truck stop. Been there a lot. Your pretty close to the ocean and I suspect that boat rod will work well out there. I can't see this 10' rod I have out on a boat!

Come to think of it, hoe far are you from narrowsberg? When I was a kid we'd go up there every year for a few days. Loved it up there. People think of new York and first thing comes to mind is NYC. But upstate is as beautiful as any place in the country!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Narrowsburg is about 40 mi. North of me on the Delaware River,beautiful area anywhere from Port Jervis north ,no big city’s til Binghamton ,just a lot of small towns and mountains,Except for the political situation it’s great.lots of places to fish near by,and good hunting.Theres a couple truck stops there by Marshalls Creek near the Delaware Watergap on I-80,State Line may be one,U.S. 290 connects there and goes north to Port Jervis,through the National Park about 30 miles,used to be a truck route back 40-50 years ago now it’s closed to trucks except special permit.was a nice short cut now you got to go around the long way ,no problem for four wheelers and real nice ride.Got channels in the Delaware north and I guess flatheads south and maybe blues.south by the Schuylkill river and pretty decent water up here.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Narrowsburg is about 40 mi. North of me on the Delaware River,beautiful area anywhere from Port Jervis north ,no big city’s til Binghamton ,just a lot of small towns and mountains,Except for the political situation it’s great.lots of places to fish near by,and good hunting.Theres a couple truck stops there by Marshalls Creek near the Delaware Watergap on I-80,State Line may be one,U.S. 290 connects there and goes north to Port Jervis,through the National Park about 30 miles,used to be a truck route back 40-50 years ago now it’s closed to trucks except special permit.was a nice short cut now you got to go around the long way ,no problem for four wheelers and real nice ride.Got channels in the Delaware north and I guess flatheads south and maybe blues.south by the Schuylkill river and pretty decent water up here.
Thank for writting back! Used to love the trips up here. They started about 70 yrs ago.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 10 footer may be a surf pole or just a long freshwater pole,I read that dedicated surf fishers use 12’ to 15 foot poles ,pier fishers like them long too,as I said I used a 6000 size quantum combo with a 8’ pole from Walmart ,like I said also any decent size critter might have chewed it up and spit it back at me but it cost $30.00 .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts