I cut down the handle

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Matthew72, Aug 20, 2006.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I whacked off the butt of my long pole and now I am so happy with it. My arms are purty short so when I reel in the line I need the reel closer to me. I was stickin the handle under my arm to reel but it was uncomfortable and I felt weird. So after consulting the BOC, I cut a foot of the handle off. Now I feel good reelin in. I use the space in front of the reel as the fulcrom on the pole and I don't thank I have lost any power, just length. What are all yall's thoughts on this shorter pole of mine?

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Brother, I basically done the same thing. I bought the components for a 14 foot spinning rod and put it together myself because I didn't like the reel so far from the butt. We were fishing the tailraces below the dams on the Arkansas River and the closest you can get is 100 yards so that is the reason we were using such long rods. I agree it just ain't comfortable with the reel so far from the end.

st

3. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I been lookin at the MudHole catalog, thankin about buildin my own but it looks very hard to do.

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I got my stuff from a local bait shop around here. I think I saved 20 dollars by putting it together myself but the main reason I done it was to fix it like I wanted it. After I got it put together I wrapped it with trotline staging and shellacked it several times. The staging helps protect it and also seems to make it a little heaver actioned. I don't think I've used that rod in 15 years but I've got it if I ever need it. :roll_eyes: I bet Gator can set you up with all you need.

st

5. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
  6. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    i hear yea. thats what i dont like to about the ugly cat rod.i seem to like the regular ugly sticks.guess im not used to the longer handles seem to bulky.for my likings.good luck

7. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Thanks guys, I am

8. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    gonna cut all my long handled rods like that. and I hope to build my own one day.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It think thats a great thing to do if it helps you fish better.

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When you cut it did it have a cork handle? I have one I would like to cut. What did you use to cut it with? I am afraid of messing up the cork.
    Bill