I could use some help, my catfishing brothers...

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Sasquatch_24, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Well, ive been catfishing for a few years now and here's what i usually do...

I set up two rods with two hooks on each rod. one rod has bait-holder trebles and the other has some small octopus hooks. on the bait-holder trebles i usually put some blood bait dough balls on. on the octopus hooks i put a chicken liver on one and a couple night crawlers on the other. i prop my rods up pretty high and between the 2nd and 3rd eye-lits (from the end of the pole) i put a bobber on the line and set it up so the bobber is hanging on slack. i watch the bobber as a bite indicator.

this is the set-up ive always used. its the set-up my brother-in-law has always used. and its the set-up my dad has always used. i dont do too well when i decide to go nightfishing. i seem to watch my bobber dance around for about half an hour. then i reel in my rigs and rebait my line. every once in a while ill catch a fish or two, but it just seems like a whole lot of excited bobber watching with no channel cats on the stringer.

Any ideas, guys?

2. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have had better luck without treble hooks I put my slip sinker on then a swivel then 18" line and regular hook with shrimp I have used circle hooks, no bobber on the line just watch the tip. But there are only about a million different ways to set up if your way isnt working change till ya find what ya like

3. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    thanks for the info! yeah, i guess i forgot to add that. i use 2-3 egg sinkers above a swivel. then about 20-30 inches of line for the two hooks on each rod.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Mike your bait slection seems ok but you might want to try some live bait or maybe some new water.Where in co are you.The reason i ask is i have a good friend that lives around olney springs that catfish all the time and does pretty good.Just thought if your in that area i could interduce you two.

5. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    im not exactly sure where olney springs is, but i live in frederick. i fish multiple waters in my area at night and the numbers are the same for each place. theres a couple spots ive been hitting up where i can catch 4-5 channel cats a day all over 25 inches long by using plastics. i just havent had much luck with the night fishing business, but the day-time bite has been pretty hot for me all summer.

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Mike welcome to the BOC! Sometimes I have good sucess with livers and sometimes I dont. I also use nightclawers for bait sometimes. The rigs I use are a three way swivel rig and a slip float rig both get the job done for me.

7. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    whats a slip float rig?

8. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    best advice i can give is get away from dough bait an liver use live gills or filletd gills or shad natural bait always catches more fish

9. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    so you guys really think my main problem is the bait im throwing? what type of hooks should i throw these gills out on? how should i hook them?

10. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    You might want to lighten the sinker some. Use just enough weight to hold bait in place if there is current. I hook live gills through the eyes and fillets hook a lot like nightcrawlers. :0a26:If You're fishing in ponds or lakes a large snap-swivel might be enough weight to get the bait down.

11. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I used the "hanging bobber method " all the time when I was a kid. Wow memories!

12. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Try using just one sinker, whatever weight you want.... You said you were rebaiting, if they're hittin' it then maybe you're not seeing as big of a hit as it should show because the line is passing through too many obstacles ...they are probably spread out if they are slip sinkers...

13. Doneinne

Doneinne New Member

State:
    Fremont, Nebras
    I would change your bait selections. My best producers are fresh cutbait and fresh RAW shrimp. Dough balls dispense scent very slowly. Night crawlers usually get you the smallest cats and bullheads.

14. Sasquatch_24

Sasquatch_24 New Member

State:
    Colorado
    thanks everyone. ill have to try some of this stuff next time i hit the water.