I could use some help channel catfishermen

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by catman529, Dec 16, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It seems like the last few times I fished the fish were not going to bite. I fished before coldfronts and it was in the 60s. I'm gonna do it again in the next day or two. Have any tips? My guess is the channel cats are still adjusting to the temperature fluctuations? What's your opinions on this?

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    this time of year its time to be mobile and find their wintering holes.

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Cats are definetly not as active this time of year. I bankfish mostly and its harder to find them. Find the deepest hole you can or somewhere where some warm water is flowing, like from a power plant.

4. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks a lot, the only place like that that I know of is the sewage plant.:crazy: Now where would I fish around there? Imagine the smell of the water.

5. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I hear ya man, when I fish the river, that plant is about 1/2 mile upriver. You can smell this weird chemical smell sometimes and see patches of bubbles that stick to the surface. Luckily I don't eat those fish out of the river!:wink:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Just keep trying and use fresh cut bait.Patience is the key this time of year!

7. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just what I have been doing, thanks and reps (well I gotta spread some reps around before coming to you again)

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    you might want to find the deepest holes , my brother vern and i caught 2 in 5' of water the other night then moved to 40' and caught 10 more

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have also found that undercuts hold fish this time of year. Fish along the outside of a bend where the bak in higher than the inside. Usually an undercut into the bank will occur. If the current is slow enough, I like to use a bobber and let it drift along slowly, against the bottom, but using the bobber to move it along slowly.

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    everyone already said it but ill say it again. find the deepest holes you can find. theyll be in there.:smile2:

11. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been fishing the deepest areas in the river bend, deepest I think is 5 feet since it is a smaller stream. The bend doesn't have an undercut bank because it is 95% rocks and huge boulders. I know the cats are there, this is my one and only catfishing hole that I fish regularly. Current is very slow in that area. I know there are bass there, once I saw a huge eruption and a bright orange bream flipped out of the water before two more splashes. I have tossed soft baits there a couple of times and got a hit or two. During the summer when I catch my cats I find them in shallower water. Past the bend the water is also shallower. My last catfish was around October 17 I think. 19 inches, caught right at the bend in deep water. Since then I have fished the same area with no fish. Thanks anyway for all the advice, I will be out there soon.

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have noticed that on warm days...especially a few warm days in a row during the winter...the channel will move towards the edges and shallow flats...especially areas that are peppered with wood structure.

The wood retains heat from sunlight. And even a minute water temperature fluctuation during cold weather months can make all the difference of whether they stay put in their wintering holes...or if they get a wild hair and start roaming around at least a little bit looking for some trouble.

A couple weeks ago during some unseasonably warm weather that was preceding a major cold front and snow/icestorm...my wife and I fished a shallow arm of a local strip pit that was covered with standing timber. The depth where we were fishing ranged between 2 and 4 feet deep.

We carolina rigged some extra large shiners that we got at the local bait shop, and harvested 5 channel from 3 to 10 lb, 4 largemouth that ranged from 3 to 6 lb, and a pair of walleye that weighed 4 1/2 lb apiece.

The bites were just like you like them...BAM...and a fast run. (except the walleye...they barely nibbled)

The hardest part about fishing this time of year around here is finding live bait. The local bait shops don't stock much in the winter. I usually use chicken liver or cut perch I can manage to catch as a substitue...which usually works. But there is something about live shiners in the winter that always seems to work better.

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ya it seems like to me, that the catfish is hard to find this time of year. but I have to keep trying.

14. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you're right there, keep trying, that's what I'm doing.

15. TX Catman

TX Catman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Try and wait till it gets higher then 70 or fish deep water with somethin that really stinks. (the more it stinks the better it works)