I caught a sick fish friday.

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by mmccalli, Nov 13, 2007.

1. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    So I caught a sick blue cat friday. I pulled it out of the water and it began to crap everywhere. I have seen that before, but it was pretty much non-stop. I really didn't think much about it then, and threw it in the livewell. When i went to pull it out of the live well to clean, it had been doing the same thing inside the live well and the smell was overwhelming. I went to cut on the fish and noticed that the fish's muscle tissue was pretty gross. Kinda remined me of chopped up jello. My question is has anyone seen this before, and what is it? Thanks

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I've never seen that before, maybe somone will know what caused it. You might call a local bioligist and ask him or her. Let us know what you find out.

3. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    man, that is disturbing. I have never seen or heard of such a thing.

4. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    I emailed the biologist for ths area, so maybe he will have an idea.

5. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    Hope that fish didn't contaminate your boat, your live well and most importantly YOU some how, I'd see if the game warden in your area could put you in touch with some one if not inform you himself.

Ruen

6. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here is the email I recieved back from a TPWD guy.

Mr. McCallister,
    From your description, my best guess without personally looking over the fish is that it was most likely diseased and had an internal systemic infection (bacterial). These infections, if not successfully fought off by the fish's immune system, will eventually spread and lead to necrosis (death) of tissue, multiple organ failure, and muscle deterioration, etc.
    The damage to the muscle and resulting infection could also be a result of a physical injury, allowing the bacteria a portal to invade the fish and bypass the immune system defenses. The necrosis of the tissue and corresponding anaerobic environment facilitates growth of foul-smelling bacteria. If there was fluid within the body cavity of the fish upon cleaning, that is known as ascites and also indicative of a bacterial infection.
    If you'd like to speak with me about it, please contact me at the number below or email me back and I’d be happy to address your question(s).
    Thanks,
    Greg Southard
    Fish Health Inspector (AFS-FHS)
    Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
    phone (512) 353 - 3492 fax (512) 353 - 0629