I can't hold it!!!

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by PTDixieGal, Jun 26, 2008.

1. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    OK here's my ordeal...I use a couple of medium duty rods. I do appreciate the heavy duty rods for their sheer strength, but I can't hold them. Eventually I'd like to take part in our state's Master Angler program, but in most categories we have to catch fish that are ten pounds or more. Ten pounds is the MAX that my medium duty rods handle. The heavier duty rods that I have borrowed from my dad were graphite rods, but after about ten minutes my wrists started hurting.:embarassed:

Any suggestions?

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Your rods might be rated for max 10 lb line, but that doesn't mean you can't catch a fish bigger than 10 lbs.

There are many cases of fish much bigger than the line rating being landed, just browse though our Hall of Fame, or the IGFA line class records.

Here is just one example:
    [​IMG]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Member Name
    Eric Maurer
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]BOC Screen Name
    ericM
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]BOC Join Date
    January, 2007
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Date Catfish Was Caught
    May 2, 2007
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]State Caught In
    Tennessee
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Body of Water Fished
    Chickamauga Lake, Tennessee River
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Catfish Species Caught
    Channel Catfish
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Catfish Weight
    9 Lbs.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Rod Used
    Ugly stik Lite, 6'6", ultralight spinning
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Reel Used
    Pflueger President
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Line Test & Type
    Ande Tournament 4 Lb. mono
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Hook Used
    Gamagatsu 2/0 kahle
    [/FONT]

Fish with what you are comfortable with, and use it right, the big fish will come.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Melissa,
    I'm not entirely sure what you are asking, is it the physical weight of the rod or the force you have to exert to subdue the fish? If it is the physical weight then graphite is your friend; they are, in general, much lighter than glass rods.
    A medium duty rod will, in most cases, handle a fish much larger than ten pounds. It is possible to land a very large fish without exerting a lot of physical effort but it does take much longer and requires both skill and a reel with a very good drag and a high line capacity.
    Unless you have to really horse them out of thick cover, your medium duties, combined with a good reel with the correct drag setting will be fine. I have landed several cats over 40lbs with my Ugly Stik 1101 Lites and my #1 E-Cats and a few feisty channels between 5lbs and 10lbs on my bait rod which is a very slender, 4 foot crappy rod with 4lb test line.
    It is not my intention to talk myself up but to illustrate that there is a solution to your situation. Good luck...W

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Melissa,

It sounds like you have a physical problem ( your strenght ) because like Metalman said you can land a big fish on 10lb line. Just because the rod said 10lb you can increase it if u want it will work at it's best with 10lb line

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Nothing to be embarrassed about.Many very good men and women are no stronger than you and have the very same problem.

I man handled,removed and installed 400+ lb.equipment alone for many years as a industrial mechanic.Now I am a very weak old cripple due to illness.I can remember fishing for 57 years now.I could fish and cast all day with the heavy gear because of my upbring and lively hood kept me in shape to do so.Many of my desk bound or less physically active friends and family could not do so.This is normal and to be expected.I was the poor performer in their areas of expertise.

Unless you are willing to exercise and build the necessary level of strength you will need.I see no solution.The lighter equipment is only part of the solution.Much of the physical demands will still be there with or without fish on.Really,fingers to toes are involved in stand up fishing.Fingers to back when setting.The lighter the gear,the more stamina you will need as the fight will last longer.

As a child working on a sport fisherman,I often saw a big fish wear out 3-5 men who had desk jobs and the mate finish bringing in the fish so someone could claim it for a mount.This was very common.Most likely still is.This is why so many old fishermen ridiculed the records brought in by folk who regular practiced such fishing habits with their clients.

You can strengthen much of your needed body parts by constantly reeling and slowly releasing 5 lbs.on a rod while watching TV.You can practice casting in any open area.It is really up to you how much you wish to devote to it.I see no instant fix.Just one that would take time,work and dedication.You have to decide if it is or is not worth it to you.I wish you the best of luck.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

But peewee old buddy, You are a giant of a man with the strength of ten in so many other ways. Keep on keepin' on...W

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Ok guy's lets look at this from another angle. Melissa what do you think the cause of the problem is why your wrist hurt? Is it the weight of the rod or is it maybe the diameter of the cork or foam handle? If that is the case. I know there are rods out there now with graphite and cord grip handles. These are a lot smaller in diameter then cork or foam. Basspro and cabelas both are selling graphite rods with graphite handles. Also I know catfish safari rods are one of the lightest E-glass rods out there and they have a cord handle. Plus catfish safari has some lady models every once in awhile. If you want a higher end rod "The Rod Shop" has built me a rod with a graphite handle. There really a pretty nice looking handle.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    ^^^I was thinking along those lines. Another option is cork tape, like you see on surf rods...very compact, light, and comfortable.

I'm leaning toward spinning being a better choice than baitcasting for several reasons, the main one being that the weight of the reel below the rod makes it kinda "self aligning", and might be easier for small hands to manage. On the other hand, a good baitcaster will be substantially lighter than a comparable spinner.

Good luck, ma'am.:big_smile:

9. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    I'm not sure if it's the handle or my strength. I do aerobics and weightlifting, but I've always had small wrists.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I think the problem here is youre holding the rod the whole time youre fishing right? what you need is some good rod holders to hold um for you while youre waiting on the fish.

11. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Problem: I like to FEEL my rod...NO ROD HOLDERS!!!

12. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Sorry for the lack of clarification on my part, but I do NOT like rod holders and will do everything I can to avoid them!!! It's much easier to feel what is going on with my rod than it is to see it. Plus, I've seen too many rods go into the drink because they weren't properly secured in the holder.

13. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    Thanks, but that thing's too big!!! They'd have to hack off about half of that handle before they sent it to me!

14. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    How are you holding your rod? By the handle behind the reel? If so, try a long handled rod. Tuck the handle under your arm and rest the rod across your hand or forearm in front of the reel.

15. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    At what angle? Half of the time I'm fishing off the dock and the other half I'm in a chair (my dad has Parkinson's so boats and waders are not an option).

16. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Hang on let me go out to my rods and see what I can figure out.

17. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I think the whole problem is that you hold your rod the whole time you fish. I'm a really big guy and if I was to try and hold my rod the whole time, I would hurt too. Also I wouldn't be able to fish with multiple rods. I use the heavy duty spring rod holders and fish with about 5 or 6 rods all loaded with live bluegills and waiting on Mr Flathead. There is no way a fish can get my rods out of one of those. I just wait for a big fish too take the bait and when the rod starts to bend then I go and set the hook. :big_smile:

18. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    You can adjust the angle of the rod by raising or lowering the handle under your arm, from right under your armpit down to your elbow. During my quick tryout just now, I found when sitting in a chair, cross your legs and let your forearm rest on your leg. This takes all the weight off your arm but still allows a solid hold on the rod.

19. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    If you find you still have trouble holding your rod, you might contact Tim Farmer(he is the host of KY Afield tv show). He only has use of one arm and has built a fighting rod holder that straps to him. Here is a link to a picture of him with the holder on. http://www.ket.org/pressroom/special/personalities/Tim1_0400.jpg

Email him, tell him you have trouble with your wrist and ask him about the rod holder he has. Here is a link to a website that has his email address.

http://fw.ky.gov/tfarmer.asp?lid=1528&NavPath=C105C191