I can't figure out how to use my fishfinder?!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by daniel-delarosa, Oct 25, 2007.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    It is a Hummingbird 141c, its not real nice one but its an upgrade from my 67 dollar Eagle Fish Easy,lol. Anyways, I dont understand it. When Im at a dead stop, the screen is scrolling. I dont know what is where. Is what Im seeing behind, in front, under me...?
    After installing it I went to the lake thinking I was on the gravy train from now on. Boy was I wrong,lol.

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Daniel:

There are many different transducers that have different angles and also many different powered units (e.g., 2400w/4800w). The first thing to look for is structure that cats would associate with. This would greatly vary with the species of cat and time of year, and even the type of water. First off, the screen will continue to scroll even when stopped and this can be adjusted, however, when I am scouting an area (e.g., for anchoring) I always make several passes to ensure that I am interpreting the sonar correctly, as I often spent at least an hour at each spot. I think alot of it has to do with "getting to know" your unit. Make a few passes over known (visual) drop-offs or structure to get a feel for your unit. It undoubtedly takes time. If your unit has the 'fish ID" option I would turn it off and learn to interpret signals and structure on your own time. Keep in mind that cats will often hold so tight to structure/bottom, that they may not show up as a mark on your fish finder. It will take time, however, this sounds like a great upgrade. Good luck!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR

Daniel, That is normal for it to keep scrolling when you stop. Your transducer is reading under the boat. I know Lowrance and eagle does so i'm sure Hummingbird has the same feature, go to their website and you should be able to load your unit on the computer and play with it and learn how it works.

4. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Daniel.... hang in there, the cone that your trasducer sees is about 3 ft wide at ten feet and 30 ft wide at 100 feet.... the signal is pulsating and you can hear it if you turn on an AM radio....The one thing that you know for sure is that the bottom is usually correct, and anything short of the bottom is something that interferes with the beam as it goes down, and back.... If you are getting fish signals that look like fish.... maybe four sizes..... the beam just computes that is what it is seeing... could be stuff that is floating like wood or something....Hell, on my units that I have had over the years.... according to the fish finder... there were fish under my boat in the drive way....

I have two finders on my boat.... one on a fiberglass wand at the front, that I use for shallow running, and one at the back... they are pretty consistant on the depth.... fish ID is something eles....

again, hang in there and try do distinguish the types of bottom .. hard/soft etc.and where the holes or drop offs are.....good luck,

bayrunner ray

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Daniel.. do you have the manual? if not, you would be wise to purchase one.

Number one... the screen scrolls all of the time. Period.

If you would for a moment, imagine looking at your boat from the side with the bow on the left. The normal forward direction of travel would be in the direction the bow is pointing... Right? OK

Now, imagine a cone extending down from the transponder. This cone will be as much as four feet wide at 30 feet down. This cone of energy is directed down, and it reflects back up to the transponder. The signal received is fed back to the screen as a line or a shadow.

When you are sitting still, the signal is still being sent down and received up again, while the screen scrolls to show you the difference between what is under you from one moment to the next. It wll show you when a fish swims under the boat inside the cone.

When your boat is moving, the screen is still scrolling and translating the conditions that exist directly within the cone at that moment. You can see a varying depth under you as well as learn to identify the difference between a rock bottom and a mud bottom. The hard bottom reflects a dark thin line on a B&W screen, or a particular color on color units (and often a second and third false reflection signal at higher gains). The soft bottom often is represented by a light, thick layer.

The best way to learn how your unit works is to use it... play with it at different settings and learn how to manipulate the controls to get the most out of the unit.

Bring it to the lake and we'll go out and I'll show you how to use it! It's been a while since you've been fishing with me... and the big blues are beginning to bite now!:wink:

If you need more help, call me on the cell.

Bert

6. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Man, I would if i wasn't back to working 7 days a week. This time of year is our busy season. Hopefully it wont last long though. First chance I get I will sneek up there.:big_smile:

7. papasfishing

papasfishing New Member

State:
    cleveland,oklahoma
    lol...the eagle fish easy,was easy.your book will tell you what the angle and degrees the transducer will recieve.know the about radious and angle ,you"ll know about where your tranducer is shooting,under your boat