I Cant Catch Suckers!

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by RebelMan, Feb 12, 2009.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Yesterday I went to my local creek to see if i can catch some fallfish or chubs for bait. And I went and I didnt catch a thing. So i went on the bridge and looked down in the creek and there was tons of suckers on the bottom. And everytime I try to fish for these guys i can NEVER catch them. I tried everything. any tips or hints to catch these suckers? i usually fish with small size 10 hooks with bread or wax worms for fallfish. but worms always work good for fall fish but I cant get worms around here for awhile. I was thinking of getting like a half ounce sinker with about 12 inch leader and try bottom fishing for them with a red worm. maybe they will eat it if its in there face for awhile. but anyway i would love to use these guys for cut bait or live bait for catfishing this year and i would love some tips for catching suckers. thanks guys:smile2:

2. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    have ya tried some type of drop net or fish trap for the suckers, my proplem is i can't find any creeks with a decent population of suckers:sad2: and all the chubs are too small, thats why i mostly use sunnies and gills

3. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

a drop net wont work cuz these suckers are really really spooky. and the fish trap would have to be BIG. these suckers range from 8-20+inches. :crazy:

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    only sucker ive ever caught on bait was the red horse sucker but we take a small,number 6 or 8 ,treble hook and snag them here.

5. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    This may work. I don't catch them all the time but when I do it is bottom fishing. I never caught them any other way but bottom fishing. I usually don't target them so there may be a better way.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I can't catch them on rod and reel too, that's why it's much easier to castnet them:wink::cool2:

$60 and you got yourself a castnet. With learning and practice, you should be able to throw one in a month. After learning this special skill, whenever you need some bait (chubbs, fallfish, suckers, shiners ect,) all you need to do is whip out the castnet and BAM! instant catfish bait. Learning how to throw a ccastnet will save you alot of time and money on bait.

7. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    I agree with Blacky, a cast net is the best way to catch them. I've also heard old timers say if you use a stick or flip over stones upstream of the suckers and stir things up that it puts suckers into a feeding frenzy. Not sure if it works or not but it cant hurt.

8. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

lol i got a couple of castnets cuz i use them at raystown lake for mooneyes and shad. but is it legal to use a cast net in a creek for suckers?:cool2:

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Wait a couple of weeks till they start spawning and throw 'em some red worms.

10. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

Short answer... NO! but as long as you don't get caught :embarassed:

11. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    that's not a good life lesson to be teaching people:wink: seriously though , have you tried a fish hatchery or a bait store. jim's bait in howard PA sell suckers in the 5-8 inch range. and my buddy's family owns a hatchery, where you can buy all sorts of bait and fish to use for bait. i know it's not what you wanted, but it;s an option to fall back on.
    p.s. both places are in central PA, and the hatchery does ship UPS.

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Suckers through the mail and to your front door?

can i get some more details?

13. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Bait by UPS?!?!?!?! Sounds sweet to me

14. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    I was talking with a WCO today, it is leagal as long as its 4 square feet maximum. If caught with a bigger net on any type of water exept those listed Raystown,Lake Arthur,Exc with a permit its a 300$ fine and a cast net.:confused2:

15. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    do they have a site we can order from?

16. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i don't know about a website, but heres the address and phone #
    Zetts fish farm & hatchery
    Rte 53
    Drifting PA
    Phone # (814)345-5357

17. nut

nut New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    darn thing wouldn't let me edit so here we go again
    zetts fish farm and hatchery
    p.o. box 239
    drifting PA 16834
    (814)345-5357
    there is no website.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Zactly what I was thinkin/wonderin; that may be why he's seeing tons of them from the bridge, they're staging getting ready to spawn, and, who knows, they just may not feed during this time. Wonder what kind of sucker they are, it's a little early for the whites to start running, I would think.

Anyway, if a redworm fished on the bottom won't catch a sucker, I don't know what would.

19. ssskinner27

ssskinner27 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania