I cant belive this happened

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by bigblaze, Oct 26, 2006.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    This one will leave you scratching your head....Left the house for one of our night flathead adventures....took the fully charged rechargeable batteries out of the charger and PUT THEM IN MY POCKET...

I stopped at the store to buy the food and drink i would need for the trip and PUT THE CHANGE IN MY POCKET WITH MY KEYS...can you see where this is going.

Got to the ramp and started loading everything into the boat and headed out for our fishing hole....well about 3 minutes up river I started feeling a burning feeling on my leg....It got REAL HOT REAL FAST...I reached down into my pants pocket and started pulling everything out finally getting down to the batteries and a quarter...

I managed to get the keys and batteries out but when I reached for the quarter it actually fused to my hand it was sooo freakin hot....I had to stick my hand down in the water and pry the quarter off...

I had a perfect burn circle form the quarter and several other small burns from the keys and touching the batteries...the batteries got so hot that it melted the label and damaged the casing......

Incredible!!! the batteries must have made contact with the quarter

Moral of the story: I will never put batteries in my pocket again...:big_smile:

2. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man, I bet that hurt. Leason learned the hard way. Glad your alright bro.

3. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    sorry man but that is funny

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Holy Cow John, I know that had to hurt, but could have been worse, right? Our battery was on fire this past summer and I had to grab the wires to stop it from getting any worse, left a mark the shape of a wire where it burned me, luckily it didn't get out of control though. I have been taught to always be very careful with all electrical type things, and I found out that my dad taught me that for a good reason....:big_smile:

5. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i had converted a little AA maglite of mine to a 3 l.e.d head and i dont know what i did wrong but it worked for a day or two but something shorted out and it was in my back pocket and i started getting a warm feeling that quickly got uncomfortably hot and i had to get it out of my pocket bare handed too .
    it wasnt as bad as your ordeal thank goodness , but it ruined my maglite
    and the blame thing was a fight to the finish to remove those batteries
    course i waited a couple days to try it and i had to run a long drywall screw into the battery end and had a buddy pull on the caseing while i pulled on the screw with visegrips.:tounge_out:

amazeing how those little batteries have all that power!!!!

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bet ya got a charge out of that...:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    He was a bold man that first ate an oyster.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    a valuable lesson.Had I not read this post knowin me I would have pulled the same stunt! Reps to ya brothers sincerely!:crazy:

8. beeverfishing

beeverfishing New Member

State:
    pa
    Wow, that had to hurt badly. Sorry about your pain. Thank you for passing this along. Now I KNOW what not to do.

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Yea I have gotten the same response from alot of people...my partner thought i lost my mind by the way I was jumping around in the boat.....he said I looked like a fish out of water:tounge_out:

Another response i get "is man that could only happen to you":big_smile:

10. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    man that had to hurt now i know not to put them in my pocket from now on thanks for sharing

11. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Ouch that had to hurt. Glad to know you are ok. You always learn from your mistakes and so did we. Sorry I thought it was funny too.:big_smile:

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Had the same thing happen to me without the quater sticking to my hand. Feel your pain. I don't carry batteries and change together any more.

13. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    sounds like a hard lesson learned

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    its amazing how hot batteries can get , i bet you wont do that twice , glad you survived with just a few wounds

15. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    yea I kinda think there was some revers polarity going on or something cause those batteries were hot enough to melt the battery casing so they were definitely hotter than when in normal operation.....

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    MAN aint it strange that we do the most stupid things when we go fishin glad your ok sometimes we need to re group

17. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Hate to say it but it's on the package of a lot of recargeables - do not place in pockets. It's too easy for them to short out. I'm guilty too, had some short out against my keys once, left me with a burn, too.

18. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    I hate that, I know that had to hurt bless ur heart.

Be thankful that it didnt burn anything else and that you caught it in time.

Fishing in your undies would have made an attractive statement.

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Oh man I know that had to hurt thanks for shareing:smile2:

20. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Geez, I wonder how many times I've done that? I'll bet I never do it again! That had to hurt! Hope it heals fast.