I can't believe this guy....!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by buddah, Jun 26, 2006.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I was reading the news today and...well look. I copied and pasted so I hope I'm breakin any copyright infringment laws or anything but you have to read this...some people are truly idiots!

Man Says He's on Heroin to Avoid Jury Duty

From Associated Press
    June 26, 2006 6:23 AM EDT
    COLUMBUS, Ohio - A man made a mockery of the justice system when he tried to get removed from a jury pool in a death penalty case by claiming he is a heroin addict and a killer, a judge said.
    Benjamin Ratliffe, 21, of Columbus, was charged with contempt of court and obstruction of justice and ordered to spend a night jail.
    Ratliffe filled out a questionnaire form for potential jurors and professed to having a "bad jonesin' for heroin." When asked if he had ever fired a weapon, he wrote, "Yes. I killed someone with it, of course. Right."
    Ratliffe doesn't believe in the death penalty and wanted to be excused from the trial, said his attorney, Scott Weisman.
    The potential jurors were being screened for the trial of Quarran S. Covington, who is charged with aggravated murder in the slayings of two Georgia men in May 2005.
    In court, witnesses said, Ratliffe shrugged his shoulders when questioned by Covington's attorney and refused to answer any questions seriously.
    On Thursday, Ratliffe apologized to Franklin County Common Pleas Judge Julie M. Lynch, who had ordered him to jail the day before.
    "He didn't try to defend his responses, and he lied under oath and he was insubordinate," said Lynch, who ultimately removed Ratliffe from the jury pool and dismissed the charges against him. "You do not make a mockery of the process."
    ---
    Information from: The Columbus Dispatch, http://www.dispatch.com

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    What a dirt bag! Sounds like a little jail time comin' his way!

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    LOL that guy is crazy. The whole judicial system is a little crazy as well if you ask me. Just fry em.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Another proud Ohioan. LMAO

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have been called for jusry duty 3 or 4 times and never chosen. I have my own, very different system for not getting chosen. See, I go in clean and neat and try to look and sound respectful and intelligent, and one or the other lawyer excuses me every time. That's not the kind of people they want on the jury!!!

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ive never been called for Jury duty however I dont think I would try to get out of it thats just stupid. 1 you get free time off work
    2 - hopefully get a good case to listen and make a difference in

7. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    im 33 years old ive been called for jury duty 6 times the first time i thought it would be cool to go, the 2 time i hoped it would be better but wasnt the third time i knew that it wasnt going to be fun and i was right the 4th time i didnt go i wrote a note saying i was going to be on my second honey moon and i got out of it, the 5 time i just didnt go and the 6 time i was choosen for a jury duty there all day long not fun at all id rather go to work

8. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I got called for grand jury, got there and foung the case was a friend/co :confused2: suing the sherriff (who I knew) and most of the witnesses were co,s that I had known for years. I wanted to stay but once I told the baliff who all I knew, the judge graciously? allowed me to leave.:008: :0a4:

9. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    I been called to jury duty twice first time was of a guy who as far as I was concerend should fry for what he did and said that I was excused lol. The second time I went in I was asked if I could be fair and partial I said well it would depend on what the person did I was excused again. I was just honest with them and I was sent home.

10. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Them folks from Columbus are strange anyway.... Wait... I are one LOL! 1 night in jail and he didn't have to serve.....

11. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    we all have a deep moral obligation to serve on a jury when called. i served for one session, and haven't been called again. tho it is a financial hardship, i would glady do it again. it is how our system works, and i would want serious and deliberate people on my jury should i ever be before one.

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Been called once, served once. If I get called again, will serve again, if they want me.

13. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I was called in once but wasn't picked.That guy is stupid and you can't fix that...

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Phil alot of jobs out there will pay you the difference Being that Jury duty you get paid I think 10$ a day or something like that.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Phil is like me...self employed...of course, that is where the similarities end.... :lol: I'm much better looking :embarassed:

16. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I was called for jury duty once and when they ask me if I believed in the death penalty I said “H### yea and I will even trough the switch for you if you want, as a matter of fact I would love to do it. Can I be the executioner please ” they told me I was excused. I have never been called back for some reason.