I cant be sure but i think my chocolate lab might be stupid

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by FordTruckGuySTX, Jul 7, 2006.

1. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I'm a coonhunter through and through but I let my wife talk me into spending my bluetick pup money for the year on a chocolate lab for her, mother was american stock, father, english stock both very obedient dogs. She is about 4.5 months old now and i try to work with her every single day and she is just stupid. I have tried to praise and treat her and scold her and nothing sinks in. if told to sit she can sit for the duration of the command then is back up and jumping around, she has failed to be crate trained and at her age now still cant be left in the house b/c she will pee. i mean i can be looking right at her and she pees and she gives no warning she will be walking along and let'r rip. she jumps on everyone and has had her hind end busted, set down and treated for getting down and everything i can think of. i've talked to 3 other people who had full blood labs and thought they were the dumbest dog to ever exist. any thoughts?

2. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Sorry bout you're luck bro. Every Lab I have ever come across has been pretty smart. Even dogs who are only part lab tend to show the intelligence usually exhibited by the breed. Sometimes I think my rottie is a dumb dog too but I know him better than that. From what you say, she is very energetic and cant control her bladder. Does she seem to be nervous or skittish? That might explain a little...just a little. Good luck with her bro.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    This is pretty much what I was thinking. She's stilla young dog. I nkow a lot of young duck dogs who are quite hyper.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well... Hmm...

I only know this. How good a breed of dog is for hunting is determined by two things, sense of smell and intelligence. And labs have a pretty bad sense of smell compared to other dogs.

Maybe yours hit her head too often? Not sure, but labs are supposed to be pretty smart dogs. Every one I have had was.

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ohh... 4.5 months, not years. That changes things. She is still young. They really start showing the smarts at about 6 months from what I remember.

6. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
  7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    My mom and dad got a black lab when I was in High School. The poor pup just never caught on. Nice dog, but if you look into her eyes all you see is a blank stare. Never did learn anything.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: That is so wrong!!

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, that is funny George.

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    BILLY BOB got to close to the cage again. Give her some time and keep working with her. I got a lab from a buddy and his wife and they could not teach it anything. a month later it behave like a different dog. 5 to 6 months old they change. yu know the ight bulb goe on in there heads. (DUH, that's what i am supposed to be doing.) the look in her eyes will tell you.

11. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sorry the billy bob thing was for the picture.

12. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I own two of them both full blood, smart as a whip, the older dog is 16 months, the pup is 6 months, we just got the pup broke, both are inside dogs, they start coming around about 8-10 months old, the pup just wouldn't crate train, people said that they won't sleep in there own urine, didn't seem to bother this pup then one day the light came on and he learned outside was the right time, we praise them both a lot each and every time they go outside.

Mine never seem to understand when I scolded them so we did the reverse thing everytime they did something right we praised them for it, love my Labs, would be lost without them, when Lynn and I fish tournaments we drop them off at the kennels on Friday and pick them up on Sunday, we get there they are ready to abandon us as soon as they see the kennels, they are gone and we leave on Sunday when we pick them up they are just excited to see us and then we get home they will lay around for a couple of days and just sleep like they are up for those three full days partying.

Takes a bit of time but i feel it is worth it................Doc

13. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I trained dogs in guard and obedience for about a year professionally, and
    I think that labs are VERY smart, but they are just like people.
    They not only have different capacity's for what they learn, they also "mature" at different rates.

My advice is to lay off on all training except for the regular basic things.
    Potty training, furniture and jumping on people.

Give her a few more months before you start introducing more advance commands and just let her be a puppy for awhile.

You may find that you indeed have a "dumb dog", but give it some time first and I bet it will come around just fine.

14. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: LOL,Have you been in my neighbor hood?Looks like you took a picture of my neighbor. He'd kill me if he knew I said that.

15. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa

16. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    the only dumb dogs I've met were boxers. dont get me wrong. their cute and they want to play and love everyone. but they were to busy at the firehydrant when God was passing out brains. your lab will come around in time.

17. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

She's still a little young. The potty training will come quicker than anything else. the rest takes patients.

18. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    I'm tryin to just keep workin with her till it sinks in but its frustrating, i can tell her something simple 50 times and never get a response. the potty training is the worst thing for the sake of the carpet. my little redtick never got "trained" and she would never think of using the bathroom in the house, you didnt even know she used the bathroom outside. But if she starts to get slack jawed and get some buck teeth think i should just put her down?

19. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Your dog is still young but, if you are useing a choke collar to train, it should only take about a week or 2 and 15 min. per night to sit and heel. Order a training tape, Mike Pind makes a really good one and explains the basic way to train your lab. As far as a lab not having a good nose, thats b/s, they will find birds the others can't, but you must train them to use there nose or they will use there eyes. If you are trying to house break your dog you should be using a create to break it in, at its age it won't go where it sleeps. Hope this helps.

20. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Matt, don't want to hurt your feelings brother but the ABSOLUTE dumb dog award goes to a female Bluetic my friend owned. She would leave a hot coon track in a heart beat if there was a skunk within a mile. Molly would try to kill the end she was tracking. I watched her get sprayed right in the face at least five times...never bothered her a bit..just keep chompin that back end. I finally had to tell my friend that we couldn't hunt together anymore until he got a different dog. He tried breaking scent right on her nose and both ears..within 30 minutes she'd be treed with a mouth full of striped kitty. I don't know what he did with her but he got rid of her.
    Don