I call them "The Counterfeit Penns"!

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by peewee williams, Apr 8, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    After recently trying to get parts for a older Penn reel,I have come to some shocking conclusions and a opinion change.I now believe that there are "Penn Reels" and I believe that there are reels that we will be calling "The Counterfeit Penns".I found that there are already warnings out for ordering parts for the older (3 years) 500 Jigmaster.Seems as if Penn has seen fit to change the threads on some parts so that they no longer fit the old reels although they are still sold as the same models.It leaves you wondering if planed obsolescence is already a part of Penns present business practice.As old part stocks disappear you will have to buy a new reel from someone if you fish.If Penn does not see a satisfactory profit margin in parts for their products,they surly will have trouble seeing any reason to build a product that will last.This looks to be a future of "Parts are available for the reels in production".Sorry Penn.People never bought Penn reels with the thought of needing parts for NEW reels.Many parts for old Penns are now getting scarce or unavailable.Penn seems to be going the route of the kind of manufactures that I always stayed away from.Penn already has a bad reputation for the shoddy and extremely poor quality of the screws holding some of their newer reels together.It is starting to look like the Penn's of the 50's may be in use far after the Penns of the 2000's are all gone.Now having said this,I wish to ask this question.Have we the people betrayed Penn and other American companies by buying the imports?There is a lot left to think about here.I welcome all of your thoughts on this.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I must agree with you. I have an older "red sided" 209. I also have 2 newer "black sided" 209's. The newer 209's can not hold a candle to the old 209. Different fell and sound. I have read several post around the net on the poor quality of the screw heads and threads Penn uses on some of their reels.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It seems to me it is the matter of making the dollar and no the customer any more. I know every one has to make a profit but to ignore the customer and the quality of the product seems to me would enhance a customer to buy from a foreign suppler.

4. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The situation with Penn is the same as with all our U.S. industry starting about forty years ago with our companies moving to foreign soil.Don't think fishermen's buying habits chased them away.Lucky us Penn users don't need many parts.The screws on the older model ones are standard metric ,at least the ones I have needed.
    Am now looking for a couple old Penn's to do some light shark fishing the next time I go to Florida.One of them will be a 68,the other one will be either a 4/0,6,0,or 9/0.Will try to stay with brass bushings ,not bearings.
    Jake

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    PeeWee I still use my 1/0, 2/0, 3/0,that my grand father had. I have more Penn reels than most folks do. I have 5 500's, 3 140's, 2 501's, 3 113 4/0's 2 113H 4/0's, 2 114 6/0's 2 114 H 6/0's 4 115 9/0's 2 116L 12/0's, 1 116 10/0, 2 940 golds, 5 85's, 3 #9's, 1 309, 1 209, 2 112 3/0's, 2 112H 3/0's, 1 111 2/0, 2 110 1/0's 1 custom 500 and 1 custom 113H 4/0 1 99, 1 285, 1 68, 1 66 and a 930 gold.

I have my own issues with Penn here of late.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think I understand what you mean, it is a pain in the neck when they change things around so the parts are not interchangeable. One of the nice things about Penn, though, is that there are parts out there available for just about any model of any age. If you can't find them locally, then try the internet.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

And what would those be, if ya don't mind my asking.

8. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Fortunately for myself I have not had any problems with the reels. Now that Shakesphere has taken over Penn and manufacturing of the reels to China makes me wonder. I do have several Penn reels that are solid performers. Several of the Penn reels made in the past and present are not built to perform or last.

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Well i have in the past sent reel to Penn to be repaired and paid with a check. Now Penn will not accept checks even from a Business they will only accept a credit card, and I don't own one.

10. Cat-dory

Cat-dory Guest

The older style 9's , 209's , and 309's , are all great reels. The new stuff can be good but scrutinize it closely before buying. Make sure the handles are tight , and the drags operate smoothly. Some are much looser than others , and some make different noises....Penn Is no longer consistant with their products at all.....I know because I just bought 4 reels today and ALL had some issue or another.....Penn's ??? be cautious

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Welcome to the new world order of things. I'm just having to do something about my gear...most of it over 30 yrs. old. Sentimental is great, but I'm losing fish for the lack of quality gear. I got me a ABU 6000 this weekend and a 10ft. bank rod for my first big lake outfit. ($74.15) tax an all. I never spent so much for a rig, but finally realized the newer stuff all is made in China. The rod is China, KingHawk Glowstick, but it's all new. I'm gonna learn baitcasting, an go with the ABU's. All the old stuff taking up room on the rack and shelf in the garage is going in the next yard sale. I can't get parts for my old Johnson Century's, an the old rods are so wore, only got two with lettering still on them. Gonna try and get another mate for the outfit I bought while they're on sale. Then get two more ABU's and put them on my two best smaller rods for use with the boat. You know yer getting old when stuff ya thought would last a lifetime is wearing out! LOL An the kids don't think anything about spending $60 or more for a video game.....I think old farts are stubborn sometimes.
    :big_smile:

12. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi
    I believe it's a business propaganda. If you look at it this way the older models were built so well you didn't have to get a new reel or repair it for years. Where as now the new reels break like no other. The reason I believe is so that you the customer have to fork out an arm and leg to either A: repair your old or new penn and B: buying a completely new reel. I could be wrong as I am a lot but it seems that these reels are breaking terribly worse than ever before. It's quite a shame.

13. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I have five Penn 320GT2's. Haven't had a problem with them yet.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jim if you have a checking account get a check card they have the M/C or Visa logo on it and you can use it like one also.

15. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    They sure look good on the shelf or maybe as a paper weight . But for fishing i will stick with the ones almost as old as me .