I broke one of my favorites

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by borntocatfish, May 25, 2006.

1. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    anyone know what i did to my garcia ambassador the brake wont enage? I was oiling it then i cast it that was that. PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy:

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Sounds like ya got too much oil in there or the oil got into a place it does not need to be. I'm no repair man, but lots of guys here are, so hang tight and somebody will help ya out. I'm sure it's an easy fix.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Won't stake my life on it, but I think the reel manual said to not get oil on the brake. If you have, you may have to get a new part to get it fixed right.

4. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    Ilost the manual a long time ago I was afraid of takiing it in to the shop. :crazy: __________________________________________ A bad fishing beats a good day of work

5. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    What "brake" are you talking about?

6. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    be careful who you take it to. i had a guy repair two reels for me for about 35 bucks. one still has the same problem and the other has a new problem."reel repair,thanks for nothin."
    good luck,matt

7. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    The brake that stops the spool from spinning. it clicks after I cast to reel it brake in . then all I have to do is pull the line out by hand

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    WHAT model reel is it? How far did you disassemble? you might try THE REEL MECHANIC at http://[URL="http://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com/manufactures.html"]www.fishing-tackle-repair.com/manufactures.html[/URL]
    Free downloads of fishing schematics.
    Abu-Garica-Pure fishingTel# 1(800) 228-4272
    Hope this helps. They have been very helpful to me .I don't let anyone else work on my reels anymore. If I can't work on and fix it ,I get rid of it.Good luck

9. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Sounds like oil on the drag washers.
    Lay out a clean white towel.
    Remove the handle side of the reel.
    Remove and line up parts as you remove them.
    Clean parts as you remove them.
    The stir stick from Mcdonalds it a good measurer for the amount of gease for the gear, but not to much.
    After parts are cleaned, reassemble.