I broke my personal best 3 times today (pics)

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by breadboy, Apr 6, 2007.

1. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ok, I'm not the best catfisher, I'm just getting started. I'm 15, and I've been on less than 10 trips specifically for cats. I have caught channel cats in the private lake behind my house, my biggest channel is 15 pounds. But today was different. We went to Santee Cooper and had a guided trip. I broke my personal best for catfish 3 times during the day.

Within 10 minutes of the baits being in the water, I hooked up on a 17 pound blue and my dad made it a double header with a 12 pound flathead. Right there, that 17 pounder beat my previous 15. We continued to catch a few small blues and channels around 5 pounds and up to 10. Then, I got a 16 pounder to one of the rods and landed him. The bite slowed down.

After about an hour of waiting boom a 25 pounder hit one of the rods, man it was a good fight since we weren't using broomsticks and beat my PB so far. I thought my day was over. We caught some more small ones and even caught a clam :crazy: lol.

Then, around 1:30 in the afternoon.... I saw one of the rods closest to me double over and the drag was screaming. The fish wrapped around a few sunken tree trunks. We even saw him surface and splash across the surface while fighting him (still hung up on the trunks). I got one snag out then another, and he was free towards the back of the boat. We finally landed him and he was the biggest catfish I have ever seen caught fishing in person. We weighed him on the scale (we weighed all the others on the scale by the way) and he turned out to be 35 pounds! The guide told me how I got him out of the brush with 30 pound test he doesn't know.

We ended up catching about a dozen fish, quality fish, and having a fun time out on the water. Many other people on the radio were not catching anything. We were using 5/0 circle hooks and were letting the rod load up as much as needed (I know some people here on the BOC asked about that before). The line was 30 lb cajun red.

looks like i got carried away on the typing lol well let me see if i can get up some pics!

Attached Files:

2. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A few more pics, the bigger fish...

Attached Files:

3. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    those are some nice fish... congrats on breaking your PB 3 times in the same day.

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Congratulations Kyle! What a great day made even greater by the fact you were able to share it with your dad.
    That day will be one of your treasured memories. :)

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Kyle - Great report and excellent photos! Thanks for posting! :smile2:

6. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks and I forgot I have some videos taken with my digital camera of some fish, including the end part of the 35 pounder fight and the release (we released ALL of our fish, big on catch and release). I'm going to see if I can work with them tommorow and possibly get them up as well.

7. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    oh man congrats!! you were smokin me in the PB department before you caught them hogs!!

8. YellaCat

YellaCat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats on a great day on the water and congrats on getting the big one out of the log pile! That had to be nerve racking! What were you using for bait?

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Congratulations! Very good work and thanks for releasing them to be caught another day!!!

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Way to go Kyle, thanks for the pics.!!!

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    WOW!! NICE TRIP!!

BTW, for 15 years-old you are a very well spoken young man and do a great job of documenting your outings in writing. Someone has taught you right! :smile2:

12. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Awesome Post, Thank you so much for sharing.. I have been wanting to go out for weeks, but I havent had much time, my job is working me to death.. I love fishing the lakes. Thanks for Catching and Realeasing. Your Dad raised you right! Hope you can get the video posted. I would like to see it..

Lenny

13. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Congratulations on a successful trip. I was wondering who your guide was for the trip and were you fishing the lower or upper lake?

14. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    I couldn't have said it better myself. Beautiful fish brother.

15. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    CONGRATS, Kyle on great day of fishin, and what a memory maker for you and your dad.

16. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Kyle,

Those photos are great and I'm just tickled for you and your dad both to have had such a day together :lol: Also, it was a pleasure to read your report! Very, very well written... impressive!
    Wow ~ keep up the good work!! :006:

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I can only hope to be that lucky this season! way to go.

18. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are some nice fish.

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Great Job Kyle!!!!!!!!! Awesome fish, and awesome report. Kudos to your dad for spending the time to take you out there and have an outstanding day on the water. Thats a real nice 'personal best' too. I bet your dad is sure proud of you. Thanks for the report. Cuz

20. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Cut shad and herring.