I bought a Vacuum Sealer (Food Saver)???

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by SmokinBarrel, Oct 15, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    Okay, I plan to make a trial run and freeze a few baitfish tomorrow. Any suggestions before I give it a go? I haven't used it yet, so it'll be a learning process.

My thinking is that I should leave the tail on if possible so I can minimize any liquids ruining the seal? I figured if I cut the tail off, it would bleed, and the vacuum could draw a lot of blood out?

1. Should I leave the tail on if I can?
    2. Should I pat the bait fish dry before seal?
    3. Should I seal a piece of paper towel inside the bag with the bait fish towards the opening, with hopes that it will catch excessive liquids?

Thanks.

2. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Dennis one thing for sure dont let water or moister get into the sealer.
    I dont cut the tail off of any bait fish
    I just take a news paper and wrap the fish and then put them in the bag and that will help on you sealing process.
    You have a good opinion of how it works so just watch the moister
    also I pkg about 3 skips in a bag and then that will usually fish for awhile and you dont waste alot of bait

3. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Man that is a good question. cant wait to see some answers. if i were doing that i would try to leave it as natural as possible but for cut bait who knows.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I lay my skip jack on wax paper in the freezer until the are almost frozen then put them in the bags to seal. I do the same with big shad. The small shad I put in the bag and put it in the freezer until they are firm then seal them. That way you have some of the slime when you thaw them out. Put what you think you will use on one trip in each bag.

5. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    I like the idea of a Vacuum Sealer, and plan to vacuum seal some meals for work and other stuff. But, I am thinking I may need to get another one because I hate to slime up my regular food with bait fish juices. :smile2:

I bought mine V845 model, for $25 on Craigslist. In fact, it's hardly been used, and in original box.

6. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    A little shad slime won't hurt you.:eek:oooh: Some times I think it might help my cooking:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    :smile2::smile2: I don't have a problem with, but the Ms may! Otherwise, I don't care either! And I'd save another $50 - 75 for a second one. :smile2:

I just need to make sure it doesn't stink up the freezer if I get the outside of the vacuumed bag slimed! :smile2:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  8. festus

festus New Member

I have used my vacuum sealer for foods, but not yet for bait. A friend of mine does this and he said he doesn't stack the shad on top of each other or they'll become mushy. And yes, he pre-cools them until almost frozen, then vacuum packs them

9. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have a plastic tray I set the bags in to let them freeze then I seal them. after that you can wash the outside of the bag. Make sure you dry it good or the bags will stick together.

After 30 yrs my better half just puts up with it. I do have a bait freezer I store them in.

10. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i use mine for everything you've got the right idea.make sure they're pretty dry,and i do exactly what you said put a paper towel inside across the bag to remove eccess moisture,some want hurt.you dont want too much tho.or you could put the bait fish in the freezer to partialy freeze them.hope this helped.and you can wash it good afterwards and use it for deer ,fish, ect...

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    You have received some very good tips. One thing I would add to save you some money. Purchase your bags by the roll. Then you can set the size of the bags to the size and number of bait fish your going to seal. The vacuum sealer is one of the best investments in fishing.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Where can I get an inexpensive, yet effective vacuum sealer? :tounge_out:

13. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    Got mine at Wally world.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i actually bought some blue herring already vacuum sealed the other day. reason being we dont have blue herring around here. anyway, they had a Styrofoam tray that they had placed the herring on top of. i dont see why a Styrofoam plate would work just as well, but whenever i seal up some bait for myself, i will be trying the plate thing out. i dont think it can hurt.

15. Dirtdobber

State:
    Vian Okla
    When I'm freezing big ship jack and shad a put wax paper between each fish. Usually I put 2 skip jack in a package. I put 3 big shad in a package. The plates should work if the bait doesn't stick to it.