I believe in Monster catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Poppa, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have read a lot of posts about do monster cats exist. I think they do.
    Maybe not 300, but I know that theres at least one if he has not died
    of old age is a state record probably World Record Blue cat. I know this
    fish exists because I saw it. And if it had been caught we would have
    heard about it.
    Thirty years ago I was jug fishing Lake Guntersville on the Tennessee
    River. Back then we used Quart clorox bottles instead of noodles. I had
    fished all night and it was an hour after daylight. I had picked up all my
    jugs and counted them. I sat back and was just drifting, smoking a
    cigarette and enjoying the early morning. Just relaxing after a long night.
    Suddenly not 10' from my boat thread fin shad started jumping, hundreds
    on them. It was like it was raining shad. Then I saw what this school of
    shad was running from. This big, big, blue cat surfaced and was gorging
    itself on the shad. It porpoised twice I could see the threadfins stuck on its
    tongue as it shook it head from side to side gobbling up the shad. And
    then it was gone. The whole thing lasted probably 5 seconds.
    I know I was shocked and excited and I have never tried to estimate its
    weight. All that was out of the water was to its dorsal fin. I could only
    see splashes where the rest of its body was. But this fish looked to be
    at least a foot between its eyes.
    I have seen blue cat that weighed 86# and it was not even in the same
    class as this fish. To be honest the blue cat that brother Radish caught
    on the Mississippi a few years ago reminded me of the fish I saw.
    I know that as many people as the BOC has fishing these cats have been
    seen. How many have had them to break off or come loose at the boat?
    How many have seen a big fish and not been able to land it but were
    afraid to tell how big he was because people wouldn't believe it anyway?

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    most dont know this but flatheads get just as big, their just hidden more, there are no doght 200 pounders no doght at all, both blues and flatheads, the thing is blues are not realy bigger they are fattr, a flathead is more mussel lessfat, so the weght is not near the amount but the size is close blues are a little larger on average, due to the way they feed, flats are not hunters, so they dont get as fat, but yes i would bet 100 bucks on their are over 50 200 lbs plus cats in the us

3. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    There was one that i hooked into about a month ago here on the MO river. I truly believe it was my one shot at a monster. Nobody will prolly ever believe it but me and my old lady saw it. and i called a fellow BOC brother on the phone down in Texas to see if he could tell me how to land it. I was new to fishing for blues and didnt know what to do with a fish that big. It was about 11pm and i caught a drum and i had 2 little 1" toads out on a hook sitting for hours and hadnt had a bite so i realed em in and cut open the drum, there was a bit of an egg sack in it so i took the egg sack out and tossed it onto the hook with the toads. I reared back and threw it out about 75' to the edge of the current there at the rock dike into wat i believe was an eddy. i put my pole into a concrete cinder block and sat down in a chair, no sooner than i had sat in the chair then the pole started to bend and then touched the ground and seemed to just wanna take off, i jumped up and grabbed the pole and pulled as hard as i could. :smile2: this is the funny part , the pole bent so violently towards the ground i thought i was gna go head first into the river. all i felt was the pole actually bend to the ground and touch it and pull line off like it and i were nothing. my old lady grabbed the lantern because i screamed i finally got a flathead!!! The area i was fishing has a very steep slope and the only way i could keep the fish from pulling me in was to lay back against the bank and dig in with the pole literally bending to my feet. finally after about 10 minutes of it pulling and me reeling back after almost losing all my line i finally got a bit of control. another 10-15 minutes and i had the biggest fish i ever saw down at the bottom of the slope. I know i havent seen many big fish but this fish was easily 5' and the head was huge, it could have ate my 18 month old daughter. I was shocked and amazed to see a giant blue rolling there at the bank just peeling off line everytime it rolled or tried to run sideways. the onfortunate thing is that i am new to landing fish and was afraid of getting in the MO river cuz i cant swim. so i tried in vain for another 10 minutes to try and grab it somehow while i was hanging off the bank trying to reach another 2-3' to the river. finally, the inevitable happnd, the line broke at the hook on one of his rolls.

I'm sorry this took soo long but in short i honestly believe there are still some monster cats out there just waiting to be caught, its all about being in the lucky place at the right time with the lucky bait. they are there and god willing the next time i have the opportunity, im jumping in that river and holding on for dear life. i cant guess on how big this fish was but i know it was close to over 100 at my highest guess and at least 75 on the low end, i would like to believe 75 because it dont hurt so much to think bout the big fish i could had. :cool2:

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    james that would make a grown man cry and brak a glass window losing that, ,but you got time, just get out their every chance you can and be rigged with 80 pound line, and 300 yards if you want 75 and up,, i lost a flathead lastyear that almost pulled me in the water my drag was locked i was below a dame and i hooked what i thoght was a snag then it ran i was sitting on a concreat slope it stood me on my feet and drug me in, i was in shock, i had no time to ajust the drag,luckly, my line broke or i would be dead or without a 200 rig lol, im guesing 75 60 pound flathead, but i did not see it,

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know they are there. I know, I have hooked some and seen line stripped to the end of the reel or the hook bent or popped out. I have caught some good ones. One of us is gona get one like radish did. If I ever do, I hope I have the courage to let em go rather than kill em goen into the cert scale. As I said they got a new food source now the bigheads they are feeden on em or they wouldent be good bait. Just the other night I had a 12 inch live mooneye womped and a hell of a 30 second fight 9/0 octo popped loose. They there guys we gota just try harder.:wink:

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    WELL I KNOW THERE OUT THERE I HAVE SEEN 10/0 HOOKS STRAITENED AND HAD A FEW REELS SPOOLED AND BROKE SOME BIG BRAIDED LINE.I CAN'T REALY SAY HOW BUT WHEN I WAS ABOUT 13 YEARS OLD I SEEN THE BIGGEST FLAT HEAD I EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE AND IT WOULD NOT FIT IN THE NET WE WERE USING.THIS FISH PROBLY WENT ATLEAST 175 TO 200# AND I KNOW ALOT OF PEOPLE WILL NOT BELIEVE ME BUT I SEEN THE MONSTER.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve been spooled using 80 and 120# braid.both times I had the drag locked down plus all the pressure I could keep on the spool with my thumb.Never saw either one,could of been one of the mystical monsters.Also could of been a tail hooked flattie of large size or foul hooked paddlefish.I believe though,you have to have that hope in your mind to get you through some of them long,slow nights.Gives me something to daydream about when the fishins slow.When I rig up,that monsters in the back of my mind.You just gotta go on blind faith sometimes.Keeps you coming back for more!:crazy:

8. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    I have always believed there are true monsters in our waters. There are the wise tails of the 7' flathead at the bottom of the dam and the blue with a mouth so big it could swallow a buick, but i have witnessed a few times where people hooked something and there was no way it was coming to shore.

Just one instance about three years ago my brother and I were fishing a feeder creek to the white river here in Indiana. We had been out all night and it rained off and on. Around 3:30 or so in the morning it started to rain heavy and instaed of leaving we anchored the rods down and walked back to the truck about a hundred yards away.

The rain only lasted for about 15 min. and we started to head back to the bank. As we were walking we started to hear the clicker on one of his rods just steady pulling. He started running and was able to grab the rod while the fish was still running. He stepped back, swung, the rod doubled over and then a loud SNAP. The fish had spooled him all the way to the bottom. The scary thing is he had about two hunderd yards of 150# power pro and it snapped like six pound mono.

Not saying this fish was the next record, but for a fish to do that! It makes it a monster in my book any day.

Sorry if i went on a little. I just thought i would share the story.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <There are the wise tails of the 7' flathead at the bottom of the dam>

LOL, those dam stories circulate through all the time. You ought to hear peglegreb spin a yarn about one of the dam stories. That said, no, I don't doubt that there are a few monsters left.

Bill in SC

10. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    yeah forgot to say i was using 50# braid. and the drag was down. Big fish are there man and i hope that someday soon somebody from here on the BOC will catch an even bigger fish and set a new world record. and of course release it for me to catch!!:cool2:

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    COME ON, WE ALL KNOW THERE 200 POUNDERS, 300, MABY, I DOGHT IF THERE ARE MORE THAN 20 IN THE US, MABY 5 , GOODLUCK JAMES RISK YOUR LIFE NEXT TIME LOL I DO,AT LEAST YOU CAN SAY U DIED HAPPY LOL,ID HATE TO SEE A FISH LIKE YOU GOT LOST AT THE BANK, GET BIGGER RIGGES 80 POUND TEST, 300 YARDS, AND ALOT OF TIME, U GOT TO MAKE TIME,LOL, LATER BROS IM GOING FISHING

12. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I keep reading about the monster that Radish hooked a while back, where do I look for pictures and the story behind it? I would love to see a fish that size.

Thanks!

13. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Heath go to member braggin Board Its under Blue Cat Mississippi catch of a
    lifetime. Posted by Radish. And its a goodin.

14. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma

I've cleaned lots of Flatheads, and lots of Blues, and I'd have to say that Flatheads are a much fatter fish.

15. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas

Wow, that if a fish. It takes a true sportsman to care more for the fish than for the glory in a case like that. Congratulations on the catch Radish, and thanks for setting an example for the rest of us.

16. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    My dad works in a rock quarry right next to the Starved Rock damn and while they were doing repairs on the damn my dad was good friends with two of the divers (Pro Dive) working on the damn..Both of them worked as partners diving and one day they said the both saw the same catfish two feet from there face and said it was easily the size of a volkswagon beetle in lenght! They said they got out of the water and looked like ghosts:crazy:..After that they would'nt dive at that damn anymore because they were just plain scared out of their wits. I know this sounds ecssesive but these guys were not joking. Big cats are out there I believe they don't hunt for there food considering if they had a good home like a dam they wouln't have to swim and just wait for there next meal to drift by...I hope I catch a cat half that lenght!:wink:

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Its really too bad that the two guys that have the current world records dont stop by the BOC and tell their stories.