I asked this before, so why not bring it up again.

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by mrmarkedwards, Sep 30, 2009.

1. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    how about a fishing tournament for bank fishermen. I have a rough idea for a format if anyone is interested what do you think?

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I actually polled this question not to long ago, i think it is a great idea. what are your ideas on the set up for it??

3. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    we have surf fishing tournaments here so i thought we could use some of their rules and add a few twists. every angler draws an assigned station to fish in for either the whole day or part of the day if you go with the part of the day option give the anglers 2 hrs to move from one station to another. if they stay in one station all day they just fish straight thoughout the day.

now if you wanted to make this a multi day event how about this start on thursday with (just using round numbers here) 20 anglers with 50 ft stations day 2 cut it down to 10 anglers with 100ft stations day 3 5 anglers with 200ft stations. that way the tournament ends on saturday and you have a chance at a big crowd. now the fish would be measured and recorded by a judge and you have the option of releasing the fish for a bonus point so lets say the min length is 12 in and you catch an 13in fish thats 13 points for the fish and a bonus for the release making it a 14 point fish. this is just a rough idea, so what do you think?

4. festus

festus New Member

They used to have bank fishing carp tournaments at Kingston Steam Plant, that is before TVA spilled all that fly ash.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    That sounds like a great idea....how would you alert judges that a fish would have been caught? i was thinking a flag or a flag with a toot on a fog horn. that way you can draw auditory attention to a judge and visual. I was thinking two things, one ether judge them based on a limit of 5 heaviest fish. if they were to catch 6 then the smallest would be dropped just like a BASS tourny. Same if we were to do it by length instead. reason being, if a guy targets just big fish he could be beaten by a guy that targets small channels. especially if over all length is to be done.

another thing i was thinking, because in KY we dont have a rod limit, is a 2 rod limit per person, or 4 per team. i like the concept of a team based tournament, but limiting it to 2 team members as to make it fair to all that participate.

thoughts?

6. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    How bout prizes, would you base that solely on the entry money? or would you try to get sponsors so as to be able to award prizes along with money? depending on the entry fee, 20 people in a small tourney would make a small prize pool.

7. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Mark,
    On day one does the 50 ft station include the length of the cast? :wink:
    How are you doing there sir?

Ray

8. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    jeremy that is exactly how the tournaments are won here, guys targeting smaller fish pile up more points versus a guy targeting bigger fish.

the rod limit is up for debate but if you have say 2 guys with 2 lines each so close to other fishermen you increase the chances for tangled lines which makes for short tempers when money is on the line.

prizes can be debated too. i only used those numbers to make it easy to calculate but if you wanted to have 100 guys enter with a 20 dollar entry fee thats a start. also you can do a calcutta which is a side bet for the biggest fish say the biggest channel cat winner takes all.

i thought i recognized that name. ray i'm fine and you?

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d travel for it!:cool2:

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I am in. Let me gas up my jet and fly over there:smile2: No really, wish I lived closer. We have tourneys at our ghterings but that is about it

11. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i understand the round number thing.

i have been thinking about it for a month or so, so i am just really interested in your input. just something i have been thinking loosely about is actually getting one together in my area. i say loosely because come spring who knows where i will be.

i would like to think that if a man did his research and put in the time and effort a good tourney would be possible. with the right advertising and prize scheme/sponsorship a 100 entries would be a very doable thing.

12. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great idea Mark, I hope you can make it happen. Keep us posted on the progress.

13. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I'm good Mark. On your system would it be a cut-off with the higher points leaders moving on, or would it be the luck of the draw each day to see who moves on and who moves out? Either way could prove interesting.

Ray

14. mrmarkedwards

State:
    Delaware
    yes the cutoff would by points so lets say it was a 2 day tournament the field gets cut in half and the remaining anglers would draw for stations again but this time the stations are twice the size as day 1 and they all start over with 0 points that way if you were hot the day before you have to stay hot because everyone has the same score. the angler with the most points have gets to draw for their station first and have the option of keeping that one or passing it on and taking a second number but then that is the station they have to accept.