I am scared of the dark! Flotation Pod help.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by loanwizard, Oct 26, 2007.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I have a 20 foot boat with an 80hp jet. Max speed is about 23mph (depth finder) Minimum to stay on plane about 20. I run shallow snaggy water at night. I have two 55 watt lights on the outside and 2 100 watt lights in the middle and still am not happy with seeing the right stuff at the right time. I have 2 remote spotlights but I need to build a radar tower of sorts for it to be effective. Now some guys just run it like it's nothing, but I guess I'm just skeered.

I am debating putting flotation pods on the back and wanted some input. I know it will help my hole shot, but will it lower my minimum plane speed (like 12-15)

Do pods affect you depthfinder with interference?

Do I need to add support on the trailer for extra length?

Any ideas on how to brighten the night when boating?

Thanks in advance.

2. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Also, will it affect steering?

3. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I find it easyier to navigate the dark with minimal light. Bright lights just create glare which makes it harder to see.
    Try adding gps to your rig if you got there it will show you the way back.
    After all you're in a jet, what are you affraid of. Keep it balls to the walls and if you don't see it you won't hit it.
    I don't know about yours but when I'm on plane at say 40 mph the boat is only in the water about an inch or two and thats just the back half.
    In the dark I feel safer being totaly on the top of the water, that way if there is debris in the water you go right over it.
    Maybe it is just time to drop the purse and start man handling the machine.J/K:wink:

4. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    I know, I know, I just keep telling myself whats the worst that can happen? It's not like you can flip that boat, I guess I could run it aground.

When I drive, I slow at the top of a grade too, afraid of where the road goes I guess....

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    shawn, there is nothing wrong with being safe. if im on unfamilar stretches, im running with a spot, and have my eye on everything. i know where your talking about in terms of running, and it is a very dangerous section if you haven't ran it for years. it will become second nature to you in time, and you will relax somewhat more.. you need to motor it yr. round to get familiar with the obstructions and water more... i can tell you that it took me along time to get where i am now at night out there. you will be ok scardy!!!j/k...rollo

6. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Tell me about River Boyz Jason.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    some of my fishing buddys, and river rat friends would always hang out on the river together, rasing cane, etc. this started back in my younger, single days. drinkin beer, throwin big partys with lots of women, and fishin at the same time!!! it was the best of all worlds!! there was 6 of us guys that would throw these gatherings atleast 3 nights a week during the summer. we were told by everyone that we needed a name for our river festitivities, so we came up with the river boyz, and it flew from there. now there is t-shirts, decals, coozies, who even knows what all!!! just alot of fun and good times! so, even though my lifestyle has changed dramatically with a wonderful wife and daughter, i guess i'm like a retiree river boy lmao..rollo

8. BOWHOG1

BOWHOG1 New Member

State:
    NC
    Is this a tunnel hull ? 23 mph doesn't sound right. You might experiment with a jack plate.

9. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Get a good GPS sonar unit and lay down a nice good track in the day light. Man when i'm fishing I drive by my gps tracks. The kansas river hear in KC can get real bad real fast when it's low. If you don't have some good tracks your going to loose your motor.

10. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I don't blame you Loanwizard. The James for the most part is safe if you stay in the channel, but I always take it easy at night because there is alot of debris in the river. You should see some of the trees floating in it. I don't understand it when I see people cutting around the channel in areas the map says is 1ft or 1/2ft with scattered wrecks in it. I question whether I'm being too cautious or if those guys just never looked at a map. Either way, stay within your comfort level, and you can increase it somewhat by learning the river during the day. Following a GPS track sounds like a good idea too. Best of luck to you.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Play it smart, and slow...a GPS track only guarantees an obstacle free path at the time it was made. Rivers change by the minute.

The flotation pod questions remain unanswered, and they're good ones.

12. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    If you've had the low water we've had in NC this year every place is scary!!! We had a guy skiiing get his guts ripped out this summer because they didnt know the water... He lived, but it was horrible and he fought infections for months and will never be the same.... I move slow and well lit especially in unfamiliar waters....