i am real disapointed with FIRELINE

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, May 23, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i decided to remove braid off of 2 poles that i have but leave it on one......( work out kinks with the braid and learn how to set the hook )

i put BBG 10 back on the other 2 and the usual 2/0 snells from egalclaw ( ill explain that later )

through out the night i caught two 5lbers one on the braid and the other on the mono......

cat 1
    the braid was odd and didnt cast out as far as the mono so it was closer to shore and when i got it up on land i noticed the line was fraid badly

cat 2
    i threw out the pole with mono on it in the same spot so i could work on the braid and retie knots..... then another 1 started running so i (riped its face off ):wink: and brought him in too..... but the line was fine( there was a few knicks the i saw but i tuged on it pretty hard and i didnt break ) i still cut off the 10 ft or so to reinsure myself.....

i hooked onto a 3rd one but i couldnt land it because the braid got butchard bad enough that it snaped the line.....( i could see the fish from shore )

the braid felt different too.... there is more fight in the mono cause of its stretch...... i got the braided cats in after about 1 min with mono it took about 5min ( i cast out about 175-200 ft ) ( l love playing with the fish not hogging them in )

i love how it manages but maby im just not cut out for braid :cool2:

i still thank all that gave me tips on how to fish with it but i think im going to stick to mono ( then a channell spools my 120yds of line then ill reconsider braid )

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    The perfect line is only in our dreams in my opinion!

The few that I have known who found perfection,found it by standing in front of a mirror!

Learning your limitations and the limitations of things in life are as important as learning your abilities and the abilities of things.

What was fraying your braid?Was it the tiny rough teeth of some Catfish or some condition?If it is the fish,a short,hard mono leader will work wonders at times.

I like the 17 lb.and 30 lb.,.008 dia.Braid for cutting Water Lily stems when fighting fish.I also like the 30 lb. for the x-tra line you may need saltwater fishing where a large or even huge fish may take your catch.I don't like it's flesh,seal or even metal cutting abilities!
    I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i think fireline is in a class of its own. it's a superline, but it's fused, not braided. i landed a 38 pound blue cat on 14 pound fireline at the denison dam. it was a hell of a fight, and i got her in. in my experience, fireline is more abrasion resistant then, say, power pro. not more than mono though, or fluorocarbon.
    where a good superline comes in handy is situation where you don't have the luxury of playing out a fish. situations like big cats in snags or really rocky areas. you try to leisurely bring in a cat there, and all you'll have is a fish story. you need to get them to the top, and fast, regardless of the type of line you are using.
    just curious, what pound test were you using? was it the original, or the crystal? we have been getting awesome results with the crystal, in lower tests than the original.

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    the coverage here in lhc is awfull

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i think im gona give it another try ......... i dont like getting defeated :wink:

ive been looking up how to fish with braid

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    First year I tried it I hated it but kept one pole with it and now its all I use.

7. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    sleekcraft, what kind of reel are you using with the braid? are you using circle hooks? what rig and/or sinker are you using?

i use spinning reels and the secret with them is to spool the line on under tension. I'll top shot my braid with a 20ft piece same lb test mono for abrasion resistance

circle hooks and braid can work just remember since there isn't any stretch you really have to let the fish run with your bait.

the sinkers i use are pyramids mostly for the tension but other sinkers work too. my favorite rig is a fish finder rig better known as a slip rig the difference is on a fish finder i use a snap swivel so i change sinkers to suit changing conditions. another great braid rig is a slip float rig the braid floats so you drift a float a long way and not have your line sink and possibly get snagged. before you give up on braid give these tips a try and if you or anyone else wants some more tips on braid let me know.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i use octopos ( not circles) or j hooks

i mainly have light tackle so my reels hold 120 yds of 10lb line

i use the carolina rig with a 1 oz egg......

but i went fishing last night and i figured out 2 of my problems

i had mono on 2 poles and one with fireline ( mine):smile2:

weather was really crudy last night and the water level was up too so my line was getting weaved in rocks...... the mono was dying badly..... it was drifting everywhere but the fireline pulled through .... i finaly found out what was making my line fray ...... it was only getting frayed in one spot when i casted out.... there was a @#$%&* concrete post that had rebar sticking out of everydirection ( like the mines u see under the water ) and fish that i caught a couple days ago was still tyed to it ( i got my look and sinker back too ) but the fish was nasty......

like a good person i took a 2 leader bottle and tied some fishing string to it ( wat was already on it )" if a boat hit this they would be pissed" and it was getting dark so i put a glowstick in it aswell.........

my other problem was setting the hook and i learned that too
    by this time i was really cold and wet :tounge_out: so we decided to go

thanks for all the help you guys

9. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    LeRoy i really don't care what kind of braid( insert brand name here) that you use if it gets around rocks or logs or in your case concrete and rebar it will fray if you are lucky and break if your not. that is just the reality of it. use abrasion resistant mono in rocky or snag infested situations. in open water situations braid is great. hope this helps.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i usually dont have any problems with rocks its just when the water weaves the line into several rocks when its windy or the boaters make waves

but thanks im new to braid and i liked how it preformed last night so i think ill spool it up again

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    A COUPLE TIMES NOW AND I LIKE IT

IT LOOKS BRAN NEW AND IVE PUT IT IT THROUGH SOME CRAP......

WENT OUT ON THE RIVER AGAIN AND PULLD UP A 17 LB TREE STUMP

WHAT WAS KINDA FUN AND THE LINE WAS AWSOME......:roll_eyes:

MY REEL HAS A REAL NICE DRAG ON IT SO WHEN THE WAVES KICKED UP IT GAVE PRETTY STEADY...

12. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Took me about a year before I fully understood it. Now its all I use, I have lots of mono for leaders now. :crazy:

13. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I DONT LIKE HOW STIFF IT IS BUT I THINK ILL DO FINE WITH IT

I GOT 3 MORE SPOOLS OF IT SO ILL DEAL WITH IT UNTIL I CANT STAND IT.......

I HATE LOOSING FISH AND LOVE FIGHTING THEM ON LIGHT LINE BUT I GOTA GET THE BIGONES OUT OF THE COVERAGE BEFORE THEY SNAG ME

LOST A COUPLE BIGUNS CAUSE OF THAT ( IND THEY WERENT FAR FROM SHORE ( 15-20 FT ) AWAY

ILL LIKE IT WHEN WE STRIPER FISH FROM A PIER CAUSE THE NO STRETCH WILL HOOK EM GOOOOOOD ( ADVANTAGE FROM MONO)

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use Power Pro 80# and 100# braid, and have had NO problems with frayed line. I have pulled it through some ROUGH stuff and haven't seen a sign of a fray. I use a Carolina rig also with 50# mono leaders, so if I get hung and can't get it loose, the mono breaks before the braid does, consequently saving my lead each time as it is above the swivel. This braid, in conjunction with the 8.0 Gamakatsu Octupus circle hooks has redefined my equipment loss and hookup ratio dramatically. NO setting the hooks with these Gamakatsu hooks, and NO fish getting off once hooked. For live bait I prefer the Eagle Claw 10.0 King Kahle hooks for the longer shank, which keeps the bait from turning back into the hook. There are MANY ways to rig your equipment, but I don't think you will ever find a better way than the above mentioned, at least not for our fishing conditions on the Great Pee Dee. I hear some folks say that you can't cast braided as far. Tell you the truth, I can't tell much difference between the two. 'Course, a long cast for me on the river from the boat is usually 100 feet or so. I don't need to cast a hundred yards from the boat. Once you get used to the braid, you will NEVER look back! All I can do is chuckle now when I see folks head to the river with mono as the primary line. Hope this helps.
    BB in SC

15. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    LeRoy,
    Consider this, (I will use whole even numbers to keep it simple):
    If you use say 10lb test mono and it has a diameter of 10 thousandths of an inch it will have an abrasion resistance equal to a ten thousandths diameter line.

If you use a braid of 10lb test it may have a diameter of only 5 thousandths and therefore will only have the abrasion resistance of a 5 thousandths line.

If you want to give braid another try, choose it by diameter not test. Pick a diameter equal to at least 10lb mono and will much more abrasion resistant. It will have MUCH MORE strength than you need but that doesn't mean you can't have a decent fight; just cos you can crank em in it doesn't mean you have to but although it's not necessarily as satisfying, cranking them in stresses them much less than playing them out. If you plant to release them they are in much better shape if they haven't been played out. (Very deep water is a whole different story). Always use a mono leader.
    Good luck...W