i am reading the threads

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by catfish connie, Sep 19, 2008.

1. catfish connie

catfish connie New Member

State:
    nc
    looks like you guys are catch and release right? you mean you don't keep flatheads to eat? they sure do make good catfish stew and good fried up blues you can keep them but the flatheads thats a different story, kind reminds me of grouper

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Connie,
    Welcome to the BOC.
    The catch and release issue is a contentious one and often debated on here. I think it's fair to say that most guys release most of what they catch but in general most (not all) that keep em for the table tend to keep the smaller ones and let the trophies go.
    Of course an angler has every right to do what he or she wants with the fish that they catch. I think the one thing we all agree on is that killing fish for no reason other than to show your buddies with no intention of eating it is just wrong.
    Though I rarely keep a fish, I have to aggree with you; flathead is delicious...W

3. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Connie, you'll find that there are a lot of different folks on this site, some release all the fish they catch (CPR), some are selective of the fish they keep and only keep fish in a slot limit of say 3 to 10 pounds (selective harvest), and some keep ever thing they catch.

It really doesn't matter what you do with your fish, everybody is welcome in the BOC.

I my self practice selective harvest, I let the little ones go to grow and the big one go so they can grow, reproduce, and hopefully find my hook again.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    We are not only fishermen but are also conservationalist. We preach CPR for the sake of making sure there are plenty of catfish for the future.

Most of us practice a selective harvest in that we feel that the larger fish should be turned loose to replenish our waters with more cats.

You will find a vast array of opinions on this subject and, with some, it is a very sore subject to talk about.

I personally feel that it is best to turn the bigger cats loose to reprocreate the species and to keep a healthy supply of cats on hand.

5. dozer15

dozer15 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I keeps some to eat but if i ever catch a big one :cross: I will do cpr.

6. catfish connie

State:
    nc
    when you say bigger, what is bigger, state guys tell us the best fish to turn back id fish under 15 pounds because they are the real egg producers, i have heard that the older a fish gets the egg sac has problems and not enough blood get to the eggs causing problems like aborting.
    that is what we have been told about groupers and other bottom feeders like snappers, so maybe catfish would fit into that group

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Connie welcome to the BOC/SOC, from So. Illinois. I look forward to reading your posts.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Most everyone that I have talked to and that I have read from here think that anything over ten lbs should be released back to the water.

I don't feel that catfish fall into the same catagory as the redfish or grouper just because they are bottom feeders.

I have read that larger catfish produce much much more eggs than the smaller ones and that their off spring are healthier and survive better than the young from smaller fish.

9. cat'n around

cat'n around Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    i cpr all my fish. unless they are gut hooked and gonna die then ill take it home to eat. and occasionaly ill keep one in the 10lb or less range to eat. ive only take one home this year.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Connie,

You opened a can of worms here . Do what your heart says if it want to keep all you catch and it's legal then do if you want . There is no one here telling you what to do with your fish. please use these comments as information. Also welcome to the BOC glad to have you on board and good luck fishing

11. catfish connie

State:
    nc
    catman
    i like that photo there with that hat on

12. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Connie dont pay any attention to them. They think they are in controll of the catfish world but they are not you showed them whohas the knowledge. thanks a lot jult dontt pay any attention to their manners dont know about this. thanks sam davis

13. catfish connie

State:
    nc
    i know how guys are, i like saltwater fishing better than catfishing, catch something in salt water and you get what you are looking for a real fight
    but thanks for the kind words:wink:

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well said brother

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Kill 'em all and let God run the deep fat fryer!! :smile2:

16. catfish connie

State:
    nc
    i bet you are a real game hog wyliecat, why do you want to kill them all, i only like those flat heads for eating and making catfish stew the rest you can have

17. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    "i bet you are a real game hog wyliecat"

LOL !

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Connie, most people here practice catch and release, but we still eat plenty of good ole catfish. Its mostly the big ones that go back and only enough eaters to satisfy the need!

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...i bet you are a real game hog wyliecat...."

Here piggy piggy!!! :smile2:

Yes, and a "threat to all of fishing". :eek:oooh:

Hey "Connie", did the food plots come up with all this rain?