I am now convinced to get a SOT.

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by sherlockian, Feb 2, 2008.

1. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Well this weekend while in Nashville, I got to paddle around in a SOT yak and feel in love with it. "Thanks" to Jerry and Joel for putting the bug in my brain about a SOT. I have been a SIK man for a long time, used some SOTs while saltwater fishing, but always preferred my SIK for stillwater. I am now a changed man. I have put on a few extra pounds over the past several months and have found that getting in and out of my yak to be difficult. The SOT was much easier, and I could stretch out to get the kinks out of my legs. It had much better access to my gear and rods also. Now if only I could sell my little V-hull boat with outboard, cause the wife said it had to go before another yak entered the garage. I am pretty sure that I am going to get an Ocean Kayak Big Game, I sat in one at the BPS in Nashville so my wife could get a pic. Man, I look good in it.:big_smile:

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have been looking at the big game also but also considering the heretage red fisher

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    :wink:So what you going to do with your sit in now??? Need another down here. I'm partial to my 10 foot sit in. Use it to drag bait out off the beach in the surf. Sometimes gets rough so the sit in with a spray skirt cuts the waves and keeps me dry

4. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Creteus, I am going to keep my SIK for now. I won't get a SOT until I sell my outboard boat. There are still some waters I fish that the SIK will be better, they have some white on em. If I do decide to get rid of it I'll let you know.

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Gregory,
    I'm always glad to win a convert! :wink:

Now, if I could only get you to check out the Heritage and Native Watersports boats... They are really dong some great things with these craft.

I just found the Heritage Redfish 12' Angler to be fully equiped for a price/value ratio that beat everything else hands down. Of course, prices change and it pays to shop around.

Have fun shopping!

6. bull68dawg

bull68dawg New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have no idea what is a SIK or a SOT...i think it might be a kyak

7. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Joel, I do really like the looks of the Redfish 12' and 14', but I can't find anyone around here(North Alabama) that carries them. I really would like to get my hands and buttocks on one before I purchase. I may be taking an early beach fishing trip in March, I plan on looking around Panama City Beach and Destin at kayaks and maybe purchasing while there. But alas the conventional boat has to go before anything happens, do you know anyone who needs a decent boat?:smile2:

8. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    SIK is Sit In Kayak

SOT is Sit On Top

9. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    There are only three distributors of Heritage kayaks in Alabama: Mobile, Montgomery, and Fairhope.

I encountered the same difficulty in Virginia in that there were only three in our whole state. I mentioned that to Heritage directly, and within months the number of Virginia distributors have more than doubled. I guess sometimes it pays to complain!

Good luck with your search!

10. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Glad to be of help.. I have the Ocean Kayak "Big Game" and have had no problems. I really like it !! I am, in marketing terms, a "Plus sized, senior" and the big game seems built for me. I can move around to sit side saddle to keep my legs from kinking up and the Yak is extremly stable. Welcome to the wonderful world of "Yak Fishing" !