I am new to bank fishing

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by 40 Pound Club, Jun 27, 2006.

1. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    New to bank fishing, I find it hard to find or fish spots that look good to me. I am not a fan of letting the bait get super close to shore and the current always drags it there or I snag up on something if I throw something heavy on. Been trying to find a point or sharp curve but to no avail. Any tips or pointers on keep my bait at least 10 feet off the shore. I don't feel comfortable with it any closer.

2. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    what type of water are u fishing? big river, small river? i would try using a slip bobber with a heavy sinker on the line. if that doesn't work, try a pyramid sinker without a bobber, they are more staionary on the bottom.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Use heavy sinkers..Some of my spots I have used up to 10oz's of weight.

4. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    What kind of sinkers are you using? I have caught some good fish right off the bank about 10 feet. Whatever the situation is, I try and use just enough wieght to keep my bait where I want it. In a small river all I look for is deep water and logs. You need to know the average water depth of the river your fishing. On the river I fish, 10 to 15 feet is deep with an average of 3 to 4 feet. Take a day and drive the roads that follow the river, any place you can stop get out and check it out. Just find the nastiest,deepest,snag infested place you can find and fish it the next day. Stop and ask people that are fishing where the holes are. A good way to tell water depth is to look at the banks. If it is a gradual slope down to the water it's prolly gonna be shallow,if it's a steep bank on the outside of a bend then it will be deep. Find where the water runs over a rock bar and then hit's a mud bottom, the stronger current hits the mud and washes it out. Don't let deep water fool you though, shallow water with a dead tree laying in it is a real good spot.

5. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Lots of weight and if you can find the channel (small river ) fish either side of it, or look for some structure the closer you can get your bait the better!

Aaron

TA2D

6. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    I fish the Allegheny river in PA a good bit and use mostly 1 oz. bank sinkers rigged for a slip sinker. If you're fishing heavy current try using a tablespoon to cast some sinkers. The flat sinker shape tends to roll less and settle in to the river. Good luck!:smile2:

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Find the big flat shaped slip sinkers, like it was said above, they wont roll as much. I also use a 3 way rig, and use light line to hold the sinker, that way if you get hung by the sinker (90% of snags is by the sinker) it will break off easy, and you only have to re-rig for a sinker, not hook and all.

I like to use as little weight as possible too, just enough to keep your bait where you want it, everything is more natural that way. During the summer, I don't use hardly any sinkers at all, but do mostly wade fishing, or sit right in the middle of the riffles so bait stays wherever I put it.