I am looking to buy a 22 rifle

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by Hopper, May 8, 2008.

1. Hopper

Hopper New Member

State:
    NC
    I am looking to buy a 22 rifle for shooting small varmits. What would be a good model to buy/

Thanks

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I would highly reccomend the Remington 597 series.I like them better than the rugers myself.Cant go wrong with the Remington or the Ruger 10-22.

3. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    cz makes some really nice rimfire rifles. if you look at a cz, google BROOKS TRIGGER KIT. a guy named mike brooks puts a kit together that will make a cz trigger almost as good as timney or anshutz. you cant go wronr with a rugger 10/22 either.hope this helps. you can also check out a site called rimfire central. there you will find a wealth of .22 info.

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have a remington 552 great shooting rifle

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Welcome to the BOC,Jeff. I can tell you there will be a ton of answers here. I like my Marlin model25,its a very inexpensive gun,and a real tackdriver. I have a Ruger 77/17 HMR . Its a high end bolt ,and tho not a 22 ,still a very high quality rimfire,,I also own many stevens,mossberg and others. I never even shoot most of them. I have a Henry golden boy and I love it. My advice is check out the models in YOUR price range and make your decision. There are a vast number of great 22 s on the market today ranging from around 150.00 to well over 1,000.00 most low to mid priced ones will fill your needs ,and they will give you countless hours of great fun.

6. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You might also want to consider a .22 that will cycle shorts if noise is an issue.

7. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    For what it is worth, I think you'd be happy with a Ruger 10-22. Fine little rifle.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ruger 10/22 and marlin model 60 are my two favorite semi autos of all time! my 'baby' in the .22 lr category is an old marlin 881 my buddy found. after we called the police and checked the legality of keeping it, i fixed it up, refinished it, and cleaned it real good. it is very accurate, as hundreds of rabbits and prairie dogs and a few coyotes can attest to!

9. Hopper

Hopper New Member

State:
    NC
    Thaks to everyone for your replies.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm on my 4th ruger and think they are nice little guns. Grew up shooting a lever action Marlin of my dads and it's still a tack driver. Like you've heard, there are lots of GOOD rifles on the market and i recommend buyin what YOU like, not me.:wink:

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a Winchester Model 190. Im 43 and have had it since I was 10. I just love this rifle.

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a Marlin Model 60 that I've had since I was a teenager, nothing fancy and i think it cost like $65 in 1982 but shoots great, very accurate. you can probably find one a these real cheap. I also have an older Marlin 39A lever action....I love that gun, very accurate and shoots shorts, longs and long rifles....

13. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    iv had my ruger 10/22 since 1968 its still hangin right here next to me. get one you will love it. :big_smile: :cool2:

14. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    I prefer the ruger 10/22. Just a solid gun.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I love my Ruger 10/22 but I dont think its as accurate as it should be. It is too ammo sensitive for me but its still great for teaching others how to shoot and plinking. I dont think I should have to accurize my gun to get the accuracy I want. Id suggest something in bolt action.

16. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I have a 22 viper. I picked it up at wal-mart years ago. it comes with a ten round mag. Its very light weight,and very accurate. I took it to the range in '03 havent touch it since.

17. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I found a couple of marlin 925's on sale at a local Kmart for $85 each. Wheehoo! Both seem to shoot very well. Many other good ones out there and I like the bolt actions on these.

Pill

18. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I use a Remington 552 speedmaster. It will shoot shorts, longs, and long rifles.

19. CopeMan

CopeMan New Member

State:
    MO
    I like the ol henry lever action 22. Great shootin guns

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The model 925 is the same as the older one I have thats a model 25,Just changed the name ,looks just like mine did at christmas way back in 1969.