I am giving up fishing, going to sell the boat!

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Dec 31, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I am giving up Fishing!!!!!! I put in at hwy 231 boat raqmp in Lebanon and headed up river to the mouth of Cedar Creek. Baited up my rod & reels with cut skipjack and tossed them out. This is the first time that I have fished this method as most of you know I usally jug fish.

One rod & reel had 65 pound test with a 7/0 mustad hook and about a four or five inch thick skip steak. I got two good hits on the smaller reels but missed both of them. I was about to call it a day due to the misting cold rain, when the bait clicker started to scream. I pulled it out of the rod holder and set the hook. This fish was moving my boat and I had two anchors out. I was thinking that I finally got my self a big cat, I fought him for about 30 to 35 minutes and finally got him to the boat. He was barley hooked and the hook was not in his mouth it was on the side of his face on the outside. This fish was a huge blue and at least 4 to 5 foot long and fatter than me.

I was reakky trying to be easy due the hook placement, so I tried to keep his head down while I reached to get my net. ( it is not a good idea to fish for big fish by yourself.)
    As I tried to net him he got his second wind and went straight down, I was fishing in about 30 to 35 feet of water when all of the sudden I almost fell out of the boat. The damn hook came out and the only thing I caught was a sliver of his skin.

I was so mad and stomping my feet and pumping my fist in the air.

I know now why they call it FISHING because SOB was already in use!

Well maybe next time.

2. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    That's what I am talking about, it was a hunnert'n'fitty pounner, I have lost many of them, many, many, many. I refer you to my post in the "Could you land a 150lb fish" thread. See, if you had me down there to handle the net, we would have had that monster and the new state and world and possibly the universal record blue cat. I told pondwater about that.

3. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    That happens to all of us !!!! I was fishing with my 7 year old daughter and i hung a monster It went up river back down river and then it went under the boat. It caught the anker rope and thats was it. Snaped a 50lb test leater. I put my head down, had my fishing rod in my hand. My daughter walked up to me and said. Daddy it will be allrite...:wink:

4. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Sorry about that Jugger I wouldnt have thought there would been very many cats there in that area.I guess hanging near the bluff there.Sorry you lost it though would love to heard you got him in the boat and recovered a new record.So dont sell the boat just hollar sometime and let me know and I will bring my big ole butt over and help you land them big boys/girls..Think I am going to hit it down near Briley Parkway on the Cumberland with a couple buddies to try and see if we can land any big blues.I know one thing I think we will stay warm cause his boat has full windshield and a bimi top and he is bringing a propane heater with him..All I got to do is net the fish and drive his boat..:wink:

Do you keep a gaf on your boat for them big ones like that to get them in the boat?Just an idea started carrying me one to help sling the circle hook out of thier mouth and to get them that is barely hooked.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. bullcat

bullcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    That sucks! So how much you want for your boat ? LOl :smile2:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Better keep the boat but that may make ya give up jugging :wink::smile2:. There's nothing like fighting a HAWG on rod and reel :cool2:. I still take the kids out jugging some but I love rod and reel fishing.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ant nuthen like haven ya butt kicked by a huge one. Keep @ it remember where ya hooked up and hit the spot a few more times.

8. festus

festus New Member

You shouldn't feel whupped since the fish was barely hooked, Jugger. If the fish had broken your line, then you would have been whupped. :roll_eyes: I hooked a big catfish one time fishing for crappie on a 3" minnow on an Aberedeen hook about the size you're talking about. Fought it for half an hour with 6 pound test. Eventually the hook bent and came out. I'm sure if I hadn't been alone, or had a BIG net, I would have gotten that fish. Of course those hooks are meant to bend to get them out of brushpiles, so I didn't feel so bad.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  9. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For some reason I don't think you will be giving up. :cool2: Just the fact that you just got to fight that bad boy is better than most peolple see in a lifetime. Back a couple years ago me and my wife were fishing at night on cordell. I got a hit in about 25 foot of water on a liver, yes a liver. It took off hard and fast. I didnt have a chance. I had 50lb test and it was on my best rig. It took off toward the bank, about 40 feet from the boat. When it hit the bank it started flopping around and sounded like a grown man splashing around in the water. I heard a POW that sounded like a 22 rifle, I'm sure you know it was, my line. I just sat down in the boat while my wife tried to console me. Later I realized that, man that was fun. That is what it is all about. I'm always left to wonder how big he actually was, but I also have something to look to every time I hit the water.:wink: So I respect you greatly and your abilities to bring in fish, but for some reason I dont think you will be staying off the water long.:big_smile:

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Remember "Momma said there would be days like that". How much for the boat? PS. Your not defeated, you are getting smarter. Look out 2010.

11. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Just imagine- you hooked a bigger fish than 99.999% of fishermen all over the world.
    Way to go!

12. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Guess that means you'll have some tackle for sell at a good price.:big_smile::big_smile: Maybe next time :sad2::sad2: Happy New Year

13. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in

Boys :crazy: there's another hunnert'n'fitty pounner. :wink: I tole yous they's out their, :confused2: we jes need somun to go fetch one in to show these other fishin' sites what it's all bout! :big_smile:

14. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    After seriously andoizing this sitts-ation I beleve tits a beaver tryin' too rids it;s den area of that stinking liver. NOT a hunnert'n'fitty pounner this time. :embarassed:

15. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    I don't know what it took to get those beauties to be seen in pub-lick with you but it was worth it. Great Photo man. Yes, I have seen it before, I was just able to not show my jealousy up until now. :confused2:

16. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Come on down old timerererrrr, that is what need down is another jokester, comedian, net man funny cut up kind of guy down here.:eek:oooh:

17. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    You guys make the plan and I will be there, I'll show you young whipper snappers how to put a fish in the boat. :cool2:

18. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    dont give up just try harder those kind of things make me want to fish harder but it does suck when you loose a monster

19. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    Come on,:0a37: this young whipper snapper is a waiten:wink:

20. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Well Don.. its a matter of time now.. Instead of the boat for sate its gonna be them jugs for sale and buying new rods and reel riggin. lol
    you will have to change you avitar name to TennesseeCatmaster or somin like that. lol
    I know it was that way with me..I put the jugs away a long time ago for rods and reels...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010