I am about to give up!!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by bigcatmaniac, Sep 27, 2006.

1. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have gone hunting almost everyday of the Missouri season since it opened. I have set in many different areas and I have not seen one single deer. On the other hand my father has gone out 5 times and has seen deer 4 of those 5 times, and shooting 2 of the deer. I have no idea what to do. Any ideas given will be greatly appreciated.

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    go with your father

3. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    the sad thing is that he was sitting less than 50 yards from where i sat when he shot both of the deer. I may just have to start sitting right next to him. :big_smile: I don't think that he would like that idea to much.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well first thing you got to do is STAY AWAKE:)roll_eyes: )Just kidding really.Kind of like fishing,you can be sitting right next to someone and they catch all of the fish and you nothing. Been there done that. Good luck in you hunts.

5. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    do some more scouting, go places with tons of fresh deer sign and set up there morning and evening. basically move to a different spot

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Keep on hunting. Some of the biggest baddest bucks Ive seen are after a week of not seeing a thing. Can you see anything your doing different compared to your dad?

7. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Don't give up you have to work at it thats part of hunting if you sow one every time you went out it would get old.Think how it's going to be when you do get one .Rember it's god to get out in the woods and look at the wild geting one is a pluse.

8. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My only advice is to not loose confidence. I went through the same thing last year and man was it tough. Hard to get up in the mornings when your not seeing anything. What I have learned over the years is PAY ATTENTION TO THE WIND, I have scent lock and scent blocker clothes, shower in the scent away soap and spray down with the scent killer after I get dressed. but I still go into a stand only when the wind is good and if at all possible I go in with the wind in my face or at least blowing away from where I am going. I have been hunting a particular pear tree this year. I have only hunted it three times seen deer every time but and finally got a shot at one of the big does last night. and to my amazement she came from strait downwind. not the direction I was anticipating. Keep it up, your season will only get better. Now its on to one of the bucks I have gotten on camera.

9. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    thanks for all of the support everbody. i have done everything the same way my dad has and i still dont see deer. I am going to look at a new place that hasnt been hunted since 1990. hope it works out.

10. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would have to agree with Mark...pay close attention to the wind. It is a plays a big part in deer hunting. If you are setting up on the up wind side of where the deer bed chances are you will never see them. I would say that is where you are going wrong! My hunt always depends on the wind. If I am seeing tons of deer in a location and I am itching to hunt the area and the wind is wrong I will stay away from it untill the wind is right!
    Are you hunting from the ground??? If so maybe you need to get up off the ground, you will be able to see alot further!

I hunt a farm that is so thick, you can't see deer unless they are within about 50 yds, it sucks because I know there are deer in the area and sometimes you can't see them. If I was hunting on the ground in that place I would never see deer!

I havent had your problem this year, I have been out 7 times since the MO season has started and have seen a minimum of 5 deer everytime I go out!

Don't get down just...like I and Mark said pay attention to the wind and get up off the ground if possible and I think your chances will become better! Good Luck...let us know how you do!

11. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Don't give up , I usually sit in ONE good stand , persistance pays off .

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv bow hunted for 20 + years finally shot at one last year :sad2: but missed :big_smile: but i still go one day soon i feel a biggun comin . persistence thats the key

13. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i have seen 4 but have not had a good shot at any of them i personally would rather not see them if i can not get a shot off

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ethan: Hang in there. If you fail this year, maybe you can take a vacation next year to Illinois, Johnson or Pope counties. You will find deer running everwhere. Good Luck and happy Hunting

15. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Don't feel bad... I went 7 years without releasing an arrow at a deer one time. My first deer I ever shot was with a bow, the first year I ever hunted. I bowhunted HARD for the next 7 years and only drew on a deer once, and couldn't get a shot. The past 3 or 4 years I've killed about 10 with a bow. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.... but in my case it was more knowledge and better preparation that made the difference.

If I were you, I'd take a step back and take a look at everything that you're doing. I would start with my scent control. Make sure you are hunting the wind, and be careful with your feet all the way to your head. The next thing to look at is the way you're walking into your stands. Don't forget that deer pattern people, just like we pattern deer. If you do the same thing everytime, they're gonna figure you out. Change things up. Maybe the deer are seeing you, maybe they're hearing you.... who knows. The last thing to look at is stand placement. You may be hunting deer sign, but not the best deer sign available. There may be a very hot trail just 40-100 yards from you. I'd take a day off hunting and go scout my butt off if I were you. There's no telling what it is that's screwing you up. It could just be miserible luck. Go scout and see what you can find.

Good luck.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have to disagree with Will here. My hunting partner always went where there was the most deer sign and it took him 20 years to get his first with a bow. Every year he helped me drag deer after deer out. The most sign is put down at night when we can't hunt. Hunt in the thickets and where there is less sign. That's where they will be during the day, especially the bucks.

17. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

A few months ago week looked for deer while we were headed to our fishing spot?
    If we saw deer, the fishing would be good, if no deer, we might as well go home because we were not going to see any fish either?

Now, we see plenty of deer every time we go and still no fish?

Just don't give up!
    Try different spots or time of the day and I bet you'll get you one.

Try going fishing and see how many deer you see?:big_smile:

Ken

18. catfishslayer

catfishslayer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would say first of all scent control must be #1 before entering the woods.When you hunt these spots make sure you are down wind from were you think the deer are coming from.if you hunt down wind you will see more deer.proven to me on oct 1 i hunted with the wind in my favor i had 4 buck come with in killing range but the were all to small in Illinois you can only kill two bucks all season.Waiting for the big one.......Good Hunting!

19. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Look for scrapes on trees and stull like that. And post up with a clear view of the scrapes.

20. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Now there's some good advice. I hunted hard for four years before I got my first deer. In the mean time I studied everything I could find on deer and scouted my butt off. I've got my limit every year since.
    Concentrate more on hunting then just shooting. You should spend more time scouting then sitting. The deer do pattern us so you must be flexable. One rule I follow is; if you hunt a stand three days and don't get a shot, you're in the wrong place at the wrong time! Remember, you can't hunt a deer that is down wind of you. If you breath, they can smell you no matter what you do. Camo is the key for bowhunting. Choose a stand the provides plenty of cover so they can't pick up your movement as well. Hunt as if you are the one being hunted. Pretend that they have the weapon and if they see you first, you lose! Don't spook other animals. They will give your position away, also.
    Grouping on a target is great but that's not what hunting is all about. I can't shoot real well at 40 yards; my maximum range with my recurve is 35 yards. However, I can usually get within 15 yards of a deer and most of my shots are 10 yards or less. Good luck, but most of all, have fun!