I ain't superstitious, but...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by kat in the hat, Dec 5, 2008.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok. I'm gonna tell a story. A true story. I'm no good at telling stories, but I gotta share this one. It's about my boss "Russ", and his "curse", if you will.

He used to goose hunt every year. He, and a few guys would get together and go blast geese, until one fateful night, when his hunting buddy "Jack" fell off a barge into the Mississippi river and drown. So, Russ was tending bar at a place called Little East, and another of his hunting buddies "Frank" stopped by to talk to him, and reflect on the good times he, Russ, and Jack had hunting together throughout the years. Frank says, "Just let me know if you ever want to go hunting." Russ' reply was, "Why don't we just go ahead and hunt this season?" They made plans to get together for another hunt, but that very night, Frank had a heart attack, and died.

A couple of years had past, and Russ, and yet another hunting buddy "Bill" were itching for some goose hunting action. The day was picked, plans were made. They were going hunting. Well, one Friday night, Bill picked up his paycheck, and headed to the bar. He had a couple of beers, and left. Moments later, he was struck by a train...and killed.

The rumors started to circulate amongst Russ' friends that he was bad luck. Don't go hunting with Russ...or you will die, they joked.

So, yet another of Russ' hunting buddies "Larry" gave him a call. They talked, and made light of the unfortunate circumstances that had claimed the lives of their friends. It was early in the spring, but they both already had hunting on their minds. Larry says, "Russ, I ain't superstitious. I'll go hunting with you any time. Why don't we go this fall?" It was a deal. They made their plans, but within the next few weeks, Larry was diagnosed with cancer. Before fall came around, he was dead. Russ told me that he couldn't even hardly bring himself to go visit him in the hospital because he was afraid he was gonna mention the curse.

I told Russ, "I ain't superstitious, but I would rather go bird hunting with Dick Cheney than you!" I also suggested he sell his guns...just in case he had the urge to go hunting.

For real though? What a terrible story. He hasn't been hunting in years because of this.

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    it makes me feel bad for russ but im sorry after hearring you tell this story i wouldent hunt with him not superstishus just very cautius lol:crazy::eek:oooh::wink:

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    ....and I thought this was going to be a Willie Dixon thread. My bad!!!!

well I ain't superstitious, but a black cat done crossed my trail
    well I ain't superstitious, but a black cat done crossed my trail
    don't sweep me with no broom,
    I just might get thrown in jail.

:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Talk about bad luck , you have to feel bad for the guy.

5. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    LOL. Or Megadeth.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im sure that we're all thinking the same thing about what it would be like to have that curse on any of us in regards to a certain thing we all like to do here....I aint gonna jinx us by saying it!

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, it would be horrible! I feel so sorry for this guy...but not sorry enough to offer to go hunting with him. Noooo. Not me. Yeah, we wouldn't want our common interest cursed...if I believed in curses. But what d'ya do? I'm not gonna test fate. Plus, I don't think geese taste that good. I have risked life and limb for catfish, but never for some ol' goose.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good story Matt.

Too much adds up to "it adds up" Once, twice, three times and more is no charm. Like OJ, once ya got a history the next page is going to be similar and the book may go on for many pages.

This is more than superstition, this is Destiny's Child on the doorstep waiting to get in.

If there is someone you particularly don't like see if you can get them to go hunting with this guy.

John.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Maybe it is the goose hunting. What would happen if he switched to deer or rabbits???

It sounds like some goose put a Voodoo curse on him.

I would not go hunting with him either. And I would not let him borrow my dog.

10. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Iduuno. Want me to ask him for you? Maybe you could swap numbers? :smile2::smile2: Just kidding! :confused2:...:smile2: