I actually had an idea!

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by massa_jorge, May 13, 2007.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i was flying kites with my kids and had a thought. i am thinking it would be better to pattern different waterfowl loads for my guns in a more realistic way than just pacing off however many yards and shooting cardboard. i am thinking i'll get some of those el cheapo kites, fly them high, and test my pattern at different heights.
    wanted to see what the other waterfowlers thought of this idea....
    thanks

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Seems like kind of a neat idea to me...you'll please post your results.

3. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Before you try that, you might consider where you'd have enough open space to fly a kite and be able to shoot at it safely.

Also, you might want to think about what to do if you shoot the string.

If I remember correctly, the two main things that affect the path of a pellet as it travels through the air are wind resistance and gravity.

If we first look at wind resistance, I would expect that it would have less of an effect as altitude increases (i.e. the air gets thinner), so I would expect a wider pattern shooting up versus shooting across. However, I don't know whether that effect is significant enough to make an appreciable difference over the effective range of the pellets.

If we look at gravity, that would tend to limit the range of a pellet as it travels upward. However, it does not affect the speed at which a pellet travels sideways. Thus, I would expect a wider pattern shooting up versus across from this effect also; since it takes longer to travel a set distance up, it gives the pellets more time to move across. Again, I don't know whether this would have any significant effect over the effective range of the pellets.

-- Rich

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well rich, i have plenty of space to shoot up and not risk hitting something unintentionally, i'm in the texas panhandle! and if i shoot the string, i will claim i meant to, then follow the kite till it hits the ground. we are short on trees here also.
    i was thinking about using a permanent marker to draw a goose outline on the kite, you know, get real high tech. i will post results when i do it. thanks for the positive feedback guys. :smile2:

5. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I think that is a great idea fire away

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Sounds like alot of fun.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    scott you still haven't ate that hotdog??lol

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've tried but it keeps making my eyes water with them darn onions and then gives me a wedgie until I cry oscar mayer.

9. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    Looks to me like the hotdog is going to eat you. I don't know what kind of info you will find out by shooting a kite, but it sounds like fun. I shoot 30 to 40 yard crossers with clay targets with different chokes. You can tell by how the clay breaks how many pellets are hitting it. Shooting still paper targets don't tell you much more then if your gun is hitting where your gun is pointing.

10. Silverback

Silverback New Member

State:
    Iowa
    SOunds like a good idea but I'd still think the old cardboard at a stepped off distance will tell you more. Maybe do both, and see if they are similiar. Seems like the kite would have more variables that would effect the accuracy of the testing. Good way too get out and get some shooting in either way.