Hydrofoil stabilizer questions

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Pastor E, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have a 06 yamaha 25 four stroke that i am debateing puting a stabilizer on would one help to plane my 06 Polarcraft duck boat and would one help on saving fuel with a StringRay would I be better of with a Xpi senior rated up to 300hp or a xpi junior rated to 25 hp the four stroke is a pretty nice size motor or would you sugest another brand if so what and what size I know that I should have gotten a larger motor but I have to live with and enjoy what I have thanks:smile2:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got a 25hp Yamaha 4-stroke, and putting one on it really made a difference getting up on plane when the boat is loaded. Since I don't know what kind of actual mileage I was getting before I installed it, I can't say whether or not it helped mileage or not. I was getting great mileage both before and after I installed it. Currently, I seem to be getting about 8 mpg. The boat is a Lowe 1648 Bigjon.

3. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    YOU NEED TO BUY A MERCURY IF YOU WANT YOUR BOAT TO PLANE

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You'll love it.
    I had a bass boat once that was terrible in every aspect due to underpower.
    Put a Doelfin on it and it would jump right up on plane, stay on plane at alot lower speeds, and my gas mileage increased darn near 50%. My boat was probally the ultimate boat to install it on and do commercials with.

The way it works is like an airplane wing. The airplane uses air over the wing to create lift. These water foils work the same way but with water.
    The wing actually lifts the stern of the boat.
    I've seen wooden wings built into some of wood sailboat's rudders.
    They lift the stern of the sailboat creating less drag.

They work on a boat hull.
    A pontoon boat, no.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC

When it'll run...............:wink:

6. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I would recommend these things to anyone. Mine has made an incredible difference in performance. As far as going with the jr or sr, I would probably go with the jr on a 25 hp motor since that is what it is rated for. Either might work, but if it were my money, I'd get the jr. Maybe someone on here will have a different opinion. The junior is rated for up to 25 hp whereas the sr is rated for up to 300 hp. The larger one would have significantly more drag since it is built to withstand the power a 300hp motor can create. I would be betting that the jr. will do you well. If you do it and it works as well as mine does, you will not regret it for a second. The only thing you will regret is not putting one on sooner.

Hope this helps

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks again guys I went with Mark j advice and ordered a Doel from Overtons shoud have it on next week can't wait to try it out

8. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i have apolarkraft bassamerica 16 ft with a 50 hp johnson. i put a stingray stabilizer on it and i'm probably getting 40% better gas mileage and gained 5 mph, it will run 35mph with me and all my stuff.
    chip