Hydrofoil Stabalizers

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by RiverKing, Aug 1, 2007.

1. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Are these worth the money, I have been looking at the Stingray 2, and the Doelfin. Do they work like they are supposed to? I have a 110 motor, so are they one size fits all, or do you have to match them up with your motor size.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I've had a Stingray on three different boats and have been pleased by the performance. These were all smaller motors though, not sure what kind of benefit you'll see on the 110.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Arent they supposed to give you a better hole shot and better fuel efficiency? Is that the purpose of them? Any other benefits from them?

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It does help the hole shot, but I'm not sure about the fuel efficiency. Another benefit is in rough water, it will help keep the bow from rising and falling as much.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I've had a few, mostly Doelfins and they DO help with the holeshot.Never saw any noticable improvement in fuel economy which doesnt mean there wasnt, just means it was to small to be measurable.They Do decrease your top speed a mph or two.They DO add stability in rough water.Like everything in life you have to choose whats important to you.:big_smile:

6. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Oh they decrease your speed?? They are advertised to increase your speed. I didnt know that..Thanks

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I believe it goes from 5hp to 40hp then 50 to 200. Far as i know there is only 2 sizes. We tracked gps when i added mine and it goes 2mph faster and holds a better plane.

8. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Getting alot of different answers here, thanks for the responses guys.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If your motor is set up properly to start with it will increase your speed. Maybe 2 to 3 mph but not much more then that. It will increase stability in rough chops and add good turning ability because it takes the slide out of the pad and puts the control at the motor to aid in turning. I have used them for years until I bought me a set of hydraulic trim tab made by nautilus (spelling problem here) and can jump a whole real quick and stay on plane at a slower speed.
    The dolphins or whale tales what ever you prefer to call them are a good add on. If you prop to the max and loose some hole shot then they will help a bunch and I also have the measurements for the omc prop that where you can drill holes in the prop to let the exhaust out prematurely and it will gain the necessary rpm's real quick for the great hole shot that some boaters desire. To me the big hole shot and fast speed is a waste of costly fuel. I had rather get on plane quick and then draw back to cruising speed and reserve my fuel and engine.
    I may be a little behind some but I will use less fuel and less wear and tear.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Please let me amend my original post to They DID decrease my top speed.I did not have trim and tilt on my last motor so I probably could not take full advantage of the foil.I am like Bubba now though, as I have trim tabs.I drop them ,full throttle take off to plane then back to 3700 rpms for cruising which is easy on the engine,easy on the gas tank and gets me where I'm going in plenty of time:smile2:

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What the fin is doing is causing lift just like an airplane wing.
    The rear of the boat is already squatting from the weight of the motor, fuel, and batteries.
    The lift is naturally going to help by getting that hull up out of the water alot quicker.

I put the Doelfin on a 15 foot bass boat I had.
    It was a totally different boat. It planed at lower speed and stayed on plane at lower speed.
    My speed increased and my fuel effeciency went up by 35%.
    Back then those things were 70 bucks and it was worth it.

Some sport and race sailboats have been utilizing hydrofoils and lift for quite some time. It works.