Hydrofoil and steering torque

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wpsatisfide, May 1, 2006.

1. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    My boat pulls to the right bad, real bad. Im buying a stingray hydrofoil to help me get on plane faster. They have some stabilizers which say it will eliminate steering torque. Im guessing they are talking about my boats natural pull because of the propeller rotation. Anyway will they actually do this?

2. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Shouldn't you be able to adjust the dial above the prop to correct this?

3. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    I dunno anything about any dial, then again I dunno much about my outboard. Still learning. I dont remember seeing a dial above my prop, will check after work

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The Dial That He Is Referring To Should Be A Zinc That Is Fin Shaped Mounted Under The "Gills" Of The Lower Unit. If I Remember Correctly You Turn It In The Exact Opposite Direction Of The Steering Torque To Counteract It.

HTH, Elliot

5. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Thanks,

I will look at my manual and see if i can figure out how much I need to turn it and double check on which way. Guess I need to just sit down and read that thing from cover to cover one day.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would recommend "one day" be sooner than later.Adjusting the zinc anode for steering torque is covered I'm sure.Most boat and fishfinder problems can be alleviated by a thorough reading of the respective manuals.If the pull is very hard there may be something in the engine alignment or steering that are causing problems.You don't say what kind of boat or engine so we are just shooting in the dark.:smile2:

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Thanks for being so nice about it Jim.

A 3 hp outboard hasn't got much torque. I don't see the problem.

8. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Try a torque tab. It screws onto the skeg and makes a big difference. Cost's around $15.00.

Go to Basspro.com and type in torque tab in the search box if you don't know what I'm talking about.