hybrids

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Bill in SC, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I just read the flatheads have been known to hybridize with channel cats. Been fishin' all my life and never seen one of these hybrids. Anyone here ever seen one?
    Bill in SC

2. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Never heard of anything like that but I guess anything is possible. Good luck on finding the answer. I'll check back to see if anybody else Knows.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
  4. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    mud cat. At least thats what I call him. He was about 10 lbs had a catfish head but a mud fish body. Got him up to the bank and just looked at him. Went to get my pliers to take him off and he broke off. Lucky he didn't take my reel in the water. But it was in a creek where mudfish rule and you catch a cat every know and then. Wish I had a picture.

later..
    Ron

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Getting away from the topic, your mention of mudfish brings back great memories. When I was a kid I used to frequently go fishin' specifically for mudfish. I'd use cut bait and fish with a huge cork. The mudfish, or bowfin, pound for pound is probably the hardest pulling fish in the water and I have had some great fun pullin' 'em. I do plan to initiate some mud fishin' expeditions this summer too! Here's The biggest one I ever caught. I was about 15 years old then. The fish weighed about 16 pounds. The picture has a blemish on it that appears as a white stripe, but that is just a blem on the old pic. The fish nearly goes to my knee in this pic. At that time, that exceeded the state record, but I didn't register it. This was around 1969.
    Bill in SC

Attached Files:

6. captinparker

captinparker New Member

State:
    SC
    I heard that down in louisana they are comercially harvesting mudfish and selling the roe