Hybrid stripers question and observation

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by osageCo_flathead, Mar 13, 2007.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey guys, I have been killing the strippers on Skiatook and another lake the last few days. I have noticed something very odd...some of these are not hybrids. I have caught 3 fish and they were loaded with eggs. These were marked like a standard striper and MUCH to big to be sandbass (for those that would ask) While these fish are a blast to catch they could wreak some serious havoc on these lakes if they are able to take off and reproduce. Have any of you noticed this as well?

2. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    The next ones you catch take a look at the tongue. Sandbass/whitebass will have a single small patch of teeth on the tongue. Stripers and Hybrids will have two short rows of teeth on the tongue.
    I've seen huge sandbass on Tenkiller that without checking I would have swore were stripers. I've seen stripers with broken bars on the sides.

3. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    About where on skiatook. I will be down there over the weekend and wouldnt mind going down there to fish it. Are u on a boat or land. I also wonder if they would be biteing down by the spill way or dam).on the lake side.

4. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I will take some pic's of the next few I catch with eggs.

You can catch them all over. We caught them from both the boat and shore. Just look for them busting the water for the shad. IF they are not on top go to whichever cove the wind is blowing into. The bait shad get pushed into the coves by the wind...it works like a current. Today we caught them by the campgrounds close to Hominy creek.