Hybrid striped bass set ups...

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by TX Fisherman, Jun 10, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    does anyone have a good hybrid bass fishing set up??? or where to fish (near cover or something?)

2. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I have good luck pitching the 1/2 oz. rattle traps where running water hits a snag, like a large log.

3. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have good luck near dams on the river using just a jig head and a grub tail. Some times i tie 2 jigs on my line, my favorite color is white or blue.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i catch them at lakes here, off steep drop offs. i use a plain ol slip rig, with a size 4 circle and chicken liver. i don't usually use chicken liver , but the hybrids here go crazy for it.
    i usually use a 1 ounce egg sinker to get the bait down fast, but if they are within 10 feet or so of the surface, i will use a single split shot or no weight at all to let the bait fall slowly. the circle is my favorite hook for hybrids, because they usually hit pretty hard, setting the hook on themselves. i have caught them to 15 pounds, they are very impressive fighters.
    hope this helps bud!

5. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I do pretty good on chicken liver here too. It's my go to bait in the spring. I also like to rig 2 3in. white curly tail jigs.

6. okiefishkiller

okiefishkiller New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I HAVE PRETTY GOOD LUCK ON THE SLIP RIG,(STRIPER GUYS CALL IT A DOWN LINE). BUT FOR BAIT THE ABSOLUTE CHOICE IS LIVE SHAD 3 TO 5 INCHES LONG. THE CIRCLE HOOK WORKS GREAT, A 2/0 KAHLE WORKS IN A PINCH.

7. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Know some guys use what they call a "Hell-pet rig" and troll for them here in Texas. The setup is basically a Hellbender lure with the hooks removed and attaching a 3' leader with a small pet spoon on the end. They are trolled at depths of about 10-15 foot in 15-25 foot or in other words wherever they are suspended in the lakes this time of year.

Here's a good hint find the shad and find the hybrids. Find them and bluecat are liable to be below them. Haven't tried tis rig myself yet but plan to shortly.

8. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    i was cacfishing from a heated dock with chicken liver and i caught a 4lb hybird. Man was i surprised!

9. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    okie fish killer, to you fish skiatook much?

10. okiefishkiller

okiefishkiller New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    THIS YEAR IS JUST GETTIN KICKED OFF I THINK, BUT I'VE FISHED IT 6 OR 8 TIMES. WILL PROBABLY FISH IT 4 OR 5 MORE BEFORE THEY GET HARD TO FIND' OR I GET TIRED OF KEEPIN SHAD ALIVE IN THE HEAT. I SEE YOUR FROM K2C. I LIVED THERE UP UNTIL A YEAR AGO, I'M LOOKIN FOR A HOUSE THERE AGAIN. RIGHT NOW, I'VE BEEN BANISHED TO OWASSO WITH ALL THE PRETTY PEOPLE.:crazy:

11. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    We got some family friends that got a little cabin on skiatook so ive been fishin and stayin there almost every weekend. They dont really like to fish so i usually got a fish by myself from shore.

12. C Hill

C Hill New Member

State:
    Catoosa, Oklahoma
    haha:lol:

...............................................................................................................................

13. Danno93

Danno93 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish for them here around Lake Livingston, and Conroe. The best set-up I have found is the cheap "Trout Rigs" that you can get from Wally World or Academy. They come on a tandem set up and are different colors. I like the double white jigs. Just throw them out around the rip rap and real them in twitching every few turns of the reel. The best place to catch them is below the dams in the tailrace. Good Luck!

14. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Lately I started trying some new setups and have found one that works great! I usually used a rig with a sinker on the bottom with two jigs. I ran out of sinkers, so I ties on a 3/8oz. castmaster spoon with two berkly gulp "smelts" above it. WOW! Wish I could have stumbled onto that set up years ago! The Berkly "smelt" is sometimes hard to get ahold of at Wal Mart, but Bass Pro has it also, but is a dollar more. As far as the Kastmaster spoon at the bottom, I've also used this set up with any other spoon also and got the same results. Other jigs will also work, but the "smelts" seemed to work the best.

15. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Stripers and Hybrids love bluegills as much as Flatheads do. Find a hump or a river channel in a lake or river and drift along the edges using your trolling motor to keep you in the deeper water. drop a 3 to 5 inch bluegill (or shad) with about 1/2 to 1 ounce of lead above an 18 inch leader so that the bait is 4 or 5 feet off the bottom. You may need to experiment with the depth. Watch your fish finder to see where the fish are holding. I usually put 4 lines down and vary the depth. Really a blast when you drift over a school and you see the fish coming up and all the rods get hit at the same time..Yee Haw

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    If it is a lake you are fishing try using cut bait on points early in the morning casting to shallow and deep water. you can also try anchoring on deep water humps or fishing right on top of tree lines with live bait at night. or in the evening try freelining bait around areas that you know they school at. if it is a river I cant help you none there.

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Now wait a min. Not all the people in Owasso are "pretty". Heck, my wife and I just call it Rich Witchville. Only we aren't so G rated. Glad to see some more Okies around. Check out the Okie threads and toss our your fishing reports. Maybe we can get together sometime to do some fishing.