Hybrid Possibility??

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KansasKatter, Jul 5, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was thinking this weekend, one of the funnest species and most popular fish around these parts is the Wiper. It is a hybrid of White Bass and Stripers. You get the best of both worlds from these fish. Pound for pound, it is almost impossible to find a fish that will fight like a White Bass, you get that out of the Wiper, with the added benefit of Striped Bass size. They are also more tolerant of changing environment and water temperature than Stripers are. The only downfall is they can not reproduce naturally.

Here is where I am going with this, could they come up with a hybrid catfish? One with the aggressive style and size as the blue catfish, and the speed and pulling power of channel cats, or flatheads? That would be an interesting experiment, you could get the best of all three wrapped into one fish!

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't know the validity of a rumor I have heard but supposedly there has been a hybrid released called a goverment spotted 51. That fits the bill of what you have stated. As I stated before I can not verify the rumor but the source is pretty reliable and not known to spread wild rumors.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Its already been done it was cross between blue and channel.They supposobly grew faster and more ammune to deseases and they where easier to clean because of their shape so the fish farms liked them.Some hactherys used to sale them to stock in private ponds.I dont think its experimented with anymore though.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Heck... Blue/channel hybrids are starting to show up naturally. It's kinda rare, but there are a few places where the spawns do overlap.

Maybe I can find that article.....

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Maybe that is what keeps happening with the record fish being mis-identified as discussed in the record channel cat thread??

I have caught some of both, some are UNMISTAKENLY blues or channels, then some look a little like both.....that is where I have trouble.

6. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    The government spotted 51 is a true living hybrid catfish. There are plenty of them in the SC rivers. You'll catch them just as much as you'll catch channels, sometimes. They don't seem to get as big, though. The largest we've ever caught was the 3-5 lb. range. That's not to say that there aren't bigger ones out there. We just havn't caught any that are larger than that! But yes, that rumor is actually true.

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Any Catfish can reproduce with another catfish. At leas the ones Native to the US freshwater can. It doesn't happen often naturally but it can. Often mixed animals are sterile. For instance a Mule cannot reproduce. Many catfish farms have been growing catfish that are bluexchannel hybrids.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "Here is where I am going with this, could they come up with a hybrid catfish?"

Great question!!

Yes, it has been done. It has been tried in some hatcheries and labortories, but the cost effectiveness of the producing the fish has been too high. They do offer some disease resistence and growth advantages, but the cost is the limiting factor.

There are hydrid catfish that are raised all the time, but they are "interbreed" hybrid channels. These are channels that are bred with other genetically superior channels to create a faster growing and higher yielding hybrid for commercial production.

I have researched and contacted several wildlife departments around the country concerning the release or stocking of the "channel-blue hybrid", but I have not found any evidence of this ever happening. If you have some documentation of this, please e-mail me.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thank you for verifing my earlier statment I wasn't sure if it was true are a wivestale. I had heard this from guide at Santee with a good reputation.

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've not heard of blue channel hybrids being stocked, but I do know they are becoming more popular in catfish farms where they are grown for food.

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    You definetly will not see a flathead and blue reproduce. The flathead would eat the blue. FLatheads do not tolerate any other fish in the lakes or rivers.

12. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Fisher14 do you have any documentation of the "spotted 51" catfish being stocked?

I am not looking for conjecture from fishing guides or people in the area, but from credible scientific sources.

The biologists with the SCDNR have never heard of it, nor have biologists at Auburn University where the channel x blue hybrid research has been conducted.

Furthermore, how can you tell that the fish you catch are hybrids?

13. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    there are a lot of spotted cats in the ark. river we call them appys , real light fish with darker sploches on them hybreds ?

14. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
  15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
  16. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
  17. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The ones he's asking about would be to mean to get caught. So o one would know if they survived

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Thanks Chris.

I read those a while back when I began researching hybrid catfish and I think some of those people involved may have been the ones I e-mail about the so called channel x blue hybrids people alledge being released. So far no biologist knows of this happening.

It is great reading material, and these links and others prove how hard it is to create a hybrid, much less create enough of them for release. I can understand how a naturally occuring hybrid would be near impossible to exist in large quantities.

19. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    Dieter,

I do not have any documentation whatsoever about the government stocking these particular fish. I hope I did not come across as sounding like an expert on this particular issue. We caught around 20 of these hybrid fish about 2 months ago on the Congaree River about 20-30 miles south of Columbia. My dad, who has been catfishing for ages, told me that these were known as government cats. He said that they don't mix the two breeds anymore, but they are hybrids. I'll get affirmation on which two breeds they were. I know for sure that the channel is one of them. All I do know is that public waters are full of these cats. I'll see if I can't find any more articles on this particular fish. Hope this clears some things up!