Hybrid Catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by rush_60, Dec 8, 2008.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Years ago I read an article about a group that had developed hybrid catfish. They were supposed to be more agressive, and faster growing. The downside was that they didn't spawn, so they were only stockable. I believe it was called the F1 Hybrid Catfish. I havent seen or heard anything since that. Anyone know anything about this?

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    There was a farm in texas that produced them. The website went down and cant find them. They were blue x channel. Aggresive like a channel but grew like a blue.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Irvine lake use to stock hybrids years ago. They were the cross between the Blue and the channel. I know that these fish did not reproduce but they could get up to big sizes. Sometimes they can come out ugly looking too I noticed. I caught one a few years ago.

4. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    i thought that the university of aubur was developing them

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Heard of blue/chanel mixes before never seen one . there is a hybrid Largemouth ca tibass don't thin they reprode either but are very agressive and are a good way to put bass in a pond for catch and release .

6. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I heard a lot about them back in the 90's, but haven't heard anything about them in several years now.:confused2: I wonder if they're still being produced somewhere ?

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    are these real?

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    http://www.aces.edu/dept/fisheries/...ons/species/Prod. of hybrid catfish 190fs.pdf

Yes, they are real. Makes you wonder about some of these state channel cat records, and of course the world record. Alot of old timers refer to blues as a blue channel. Im hoping that when a fish goes to a state institution for the record certification process, that they are testing the DNA to make sure its 100% that species. Otherwise, big channels might not be getting a fair shot at the record because a Hybrid has made the top end to high to be achieved by a true channel. :sad2:

9. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Thanks Keith for the info, it made for a very good read!

10. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Auburn University produces the hybrid blue-channel and stocks them in state lakes in Alabama. They are a fast growing fish that fight like a channel cat and grow big like a blue cat.