Hybrid Bluegills.. good Catfish/Bass Bait?

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by TX Fisherman, May 11, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ive always wondered this, but are hybrid blue gill a good bait fish? (that is if there legal)

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Oh they are great and if they die on ya they make great cut bait too

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Chris. Be sure they are legal in your state. Great bait.:big_smile:

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Well, me and the son-in-law is gonna stock about 500 Hybrids in his little pool of about a 1/4 acre.....We'll have to buy them already 3-4" and we'll be ready to fish as soon as we get em....He says, he'll eat what ain't used for bait.....lol....Dwight

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dwight- Your stocking rate is way to many for a 1/4 acre pond unless you start feeding them floating feed. They will readily take floating feed and grow fast.

catman george

6. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If your idea is to just to stock for bluegill then stock twice as many it will keep them all stunted and they wont get big unless you want a gill dinner then you need to cut it down to 250. Course that depends on whats already in your pond. You might be buying bait for fish that are already established!! Not a know it all but my neighbor is a fish dealer!!:big_smile:

7. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the info guys....Yeah, I checked with a supplier today and she said they would reccomend around 250 in that size pool....We're gonna feed floating feed, so we may get more....I'm gonna start fishing with them as soon as they hit the water....The son-in-law just wants a few to eat....

I like the two to three inch also, but @$25/100 is a little expensive....

The pond is only about two years old and has a spring that feeds it...It also is located at the bottom of a hollow which catches rainwater....He only keeps minnows in it to fish with...He's never stocked it with fish.....Dwight

8. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I have good results with them.

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Say goodbye to your minnows.......