Hybird fishing on the Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by H2O Mellon, May 11, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Caught my 1st real Hybird yesterday, right at the Meldahl Dam. Thought it was a 30# Blue cat. I caught it on my Heavy Action St Coirx Classic Cat, Abu 7000 & 30# Big Game. it fought harder than any catfish that I've caught. The fished ended up weiging 9.2#'s.

It was a blast!

2. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Nice fish Brian,Congrats:smile2:

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    those hybrids are no joke! ive caught a few small ones, 1-4lb, on the lower gmr and those things fought harder and longer than anything ive ever caught!

4. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    I've always heard they were a lot of fun to catch. Were you fishing for a cat and got a bass? What were you using? Did you pick it up off the bottom? I can't help being curious. I've considered a trip to Lake Cumberland for just this thing.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    From what I hear this one I got is not the same as the Cumberland Stripers. These are wipers where as the Cumberland ones are true stripers, I think I said that right.

Caught on Skipjack on the bottome on a cat rig (8/0 Gam Oct Circle)

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have never heard of a hybird bass, are you sure they dont fly?

7. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Melon is right they are not the same. The ones in cumberland are true strippers and they get huge. The hybirds don't get near that big and I have heard they don't taste as good either.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good one Jack!:lol:
    Im sure Bryan spends so much of his casting time wrapped around the tree limbs that sooner or later 1 of them thar Hy-birds would come and grab it! Heck, before long he will be looking to make some Squirrel Gravy....now those are tough to take on cut bait as they prefer a corn vegetable mix.:roll_eyes:

Salmonid

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    All I know is that FLATHUNTER would become STRIPERHUNTER is he caught a big one of these. I mean, he might as well right, it's not like he's very good at catching Flatheads anymore! :lol:

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan, You told me that bass fought harder than a 30-lb flathead.....I am confused since you have never caught a 30-lb flathead to compare????

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Another thing, a catfisherman posing with cutbait as his avitar???? Please!

12. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i love to catch wipers. this time of year i am usually wearing them out.i starting catching them while cat fishing by mistake and now i cant stop. we havent got the first wiper yet this year and i have no reason why. something is different but i cant figure it out.

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    LOL!!! Wiper!! I like that name!!! And it fits!

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio

Get it right Jack! :) I said it felt like a 30# cat. I was estimating. You'd have to be there to see it I guess. Imagine a Big Cat Rod doubling over. (The heavy St Coirx has the same action)

15. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Bryan were there any Skipjacks hitting the top at Meldahl?

That is the great thing about fishing the tailwaters you never know what is going to bite you. anything from a white bass to a 60lb gar. Last time I was at Meldahl I was throwing a rooster tail to some bigger skipjack and a wiper smaller than yours came up and inhaled it. It was an epic battle that the fish finally won but a great time none the less.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Didnt see any Skip, but the weather was horrible, so maybe thats why.

17. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The skip were busting the top there last Saturday evening. We motored up in the lock approach where we saw them and threw the net for a little bit but didn't catch any. Didn't want to spend too much time up in there as not to ruffle their feathers.

I just saw on the Corps web site that the main lock at Meldahl will be closed 6/19 - 7/28, only the short side will be open. That's gonna make that stretch of the river busy with barge traffic.