Hvac

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by Chris, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I am interested in the HVAC feild, I am going to start attending a community college once I get out of the military for the HVAC feild, Can I do anything now to help prepare myself? I would even like to talk to someone about the business.

Thanks
    chris

2. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    If you don't have any experience in electric or electronics, a small class ahead of time would be helpful. Don't really know what info you are looking for. I do some residential HVAC among other things. Anything I can help with feel free to ask.

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Get a job in the field and go to school at night.
    Nothing beats on the job training.

It's like taking courses in electrical work. Not many community colleges are going to spend 9 grand on a one shot bender to teach you how to bend offsets and back to back 90's, much less pay the high prices for the rigid conduit to bend up and take to the scrap yard.

In the past I have been the one to hire applicants on an industrial job site.
    I had numerous applicants fresh out of 3 years in community college wanting the pay the teachers claimed they could get. A simple trip to the tool trailer, a piece of 3 inch aluminum rigid, and a one shot would make them worth 8 dollars an hour less then what they were asking for. Most didn't even know how to load the bender much less turn it on , and few asked for the mandatory level it takes to use one.
    Most of these guys were taught 3 years worth of theory and impracticality.
    Their real learning started the day they were hired on.

There is nothing wrong with schooling and sure wouldn't hurt your chances for advancement, just dont be mislead by illusions of grandeur that the diploma will get you the top paying job without field experience.

I have no formal schooling in the electrical trade except some specialty schools and certifications to work on specific systems. But I do hold a NC electrical contractors license.
    All I have to say to get a job is I have 21 years experience in the field and an electrical license.
    Out of my last 3 jobs I was hired over the phone twice and once in a store checkout line buying a biscuit through casual joking conversation.

You can school to be a service tech but your best service techs come up from the ranks. You have to know how to install it in order to fix it.
    I installed HVAC for 8 years. I got that training on the job working for a fella that did both electrical and HVAC.

I would gear myself more towards the technology end of the field as far as schooling. With all these cutting edge energy management systems on the market these days and currently being utilized by all the big box stores right on down to an Autozone that is where the future is in employment.
    As time goes on you'll see the pay decrease for the guys running the pipe and banging duct work together but the sky is the limit in technology based systems. Somebody has to fix this stuff and I've done my share of it.
    I used a laptop and software as my primary tools. Everything these days has a serial port to plug into.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Contact member (Coloman), that is whaat he does for a living, it's his business. He may be able to help you in that field.

AL

5. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I worked in HVAC for a number of years for my father-in-law and I have to agree with Mark the best way is get a job as an apprentise and go to school at nite for certification especially if you are wanting to do commercial because alot of the standards are constantly changing but the best way I found was do the grunt work and the next thing you know you are the one doing all the work. Good luck and its a great field, I just couldnt crawl around in those tight spaces any more.

6. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    about 10 years ago i attended a trade school on my days off from the fire house and finished the two year course. there was no way i knew enough to open my own business. i found trade school was just a baby sitting service for high school drop outs. i say get on as a helper and learn the trade from hands on. semper fi..........charlie r