Hush puppies

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by okie gal, May 28, 2007.

1. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    I need an easy way to make hush puppies that are not spicy.
    Thanks,
    Okie gal

2. JenJen

JenJen New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I can't remember anything close to a recipe, of course, cause that would be too helpful!:smile2: But it is basically just a matter of mixing until it looks like hushpuppy batter, anyway.

Very simple. This is the go-to recipe we use when ever we fry fish. Just corn meal, egg and beer. (I'm not a big fan of beer flavor in food, but I like the way it comes out in these.) And finely chopped onion. (I can never use onion, cause my husband avoids them like the plague.) Then just drop spoonfulls into hot oil. And these need a bit more draining than others I've made, don't know why. They hold the grease a bit more somehow.

Let me know if you try them!

3. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    And now - a hush puppy confession - lol ....
    I've only ever made them twice, and then it wasn't with a recipe.
    I like 'em fine, but my kids seem to be more Yankified than I and aren't wild about cornmeal stuff, so it wasn't worth my time and effort to make 'em much.

I used cornmeal, white flour, egg, and milk, with seasoning salt (Lawry's), pepper, and onion powder.
    As I recall, it was 3 parts cornmeal to 1 part regular flour. Good luck, Jan! You might check the BOC Diner area in member special forums for other tips.

4. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Have you tried any in the BOC Diner Cookbook yet, Jan? There are two non-spicy recipes that I see for hush puppies. They're under the "Side Dishes" category .

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Once you find a hushpuppy recipe you like, you're still faced with the slow task of using a couple of spoons to put them into the grease one slow puppy at a time. Or not! I've got a faster, easier, and to me, better way of forming hush puppies and getting them into the grease. You'll need a small cutting board with a handle on it, a large spoon, and a knife with a long blade that's absolutely flat on its top side--doesn't matter about the cutting side.
    Holding the cutting board in one hand and the spoon in the other, make a line of hushpuppy mixture right down the center of the board; it should be about 2" high and 3" wide to start; you can adjust to fit your own personal preferences. Lay down the spoon and pick up the knife, sharp side up. Use the knife to cut the mixture into 1" pieces, but as you make each cut, you use the knife to scoot the hushpuppy off the board into the grease. Again, you can adjust the size as you see fit. Doing this will get a full pan full of hushpuppies into the grease fast enough that you don't have to see which ones are done, and which ones aren't--they'll all be done at the same time.

Any recipe that calls for beer can be made alcohol free by substituting club soda without changing the taste.

6. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Pretty much anything that you cook that has beer wine etc in it will be alcohol free. Alcohol has a pretty low boiling point and will boil of very rapidly leaving the water base of the drink and the flavor of the drink.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I know that, and you know that, but I also know some church groups that believe that if it had evil alcohol in it to start with, it will be evil forever! However, I did convert my mother-in-law to using a mixture of equal parts honey, lemon juice, and whiskey. At first she wouldn't even think of trying it, but I had her bring her over-the-counter cough medicine out and showed her that it was 25% alcohol; my mixture was less than 15% alcohol.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    2 cups self rising corn meal
    1 cup self rising flower
    one egg
    one cup onion chopped fine
    table spoon full of salt
    2 table spoons full of black pepper
    dash of garlic powder
    mix all this well. Then add only enough liquid ( I use beer) to get it to all mix well.

Jerry that is why I drop mine by hand. fast and I don't have to have a spoon or anything else.
    Pete