Hurting for bait!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Salmonid, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ok, here the deal, I got a couple of ponds I can take bluegills out of but 1 of them is loaded with big bull bluegill, tons of em and the owner begs me to take them out, problem is the little ones are about 8.75" and the ave is about 9.25", you dont want to know what the big ones are like:rolleyes: so they are so big, I hate using them for bait but have several times, they are just too big.....
    Now I hit this other pond today at lunch to get some smaller gills but the in this pond, I got the opposite problem, millions of them about 2-3", there so small they are hard to catch, I use a micro bead head fly from my flybox to catch them and its still some work with a size 18 hook!! Problem here is there just too small....

I know it must stink to have my problems but Im now on the forever never ending search for the perfect sized Bait pond.

Salmonid

2. Rebelcat16

Rebelcat16 New Member

State:
    Hickory Grove,SC
    I've been having the same problem either the gills are to big or to small to catch

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shad my friend, beats the tar out of bluegils, in my opnion!

How about just using the big ones cut up?....In another couple weeks those big gills will be fine.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Jack, last Fall I was using the big bluegill heads and fillets for the few flatheads I did catch so that is an option but its hard to fillet these huge bluegills if you know what I mean. ;)

Shad are harder to come by around the GMR then most rivers....now if you want quilbacks and small carp...thats a different story:p

Salmonid

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wish I had your problems, the larger the gill the better, I would be sitting all night with the largest live bluegill I could get on my hook. you should feel like a king.:)

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like a bluegill fish fry in the making to me!:D

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Dont get me wrong about the big ones cause Ill be using them but most of our flatties in this area are he 7-10 lb variety ( at least so far) so if Im using a 10" bluegill, I might be waiting a while for a smaller guy to actually get it down and make a run with it. Once flatties are really hittin and Im at the places where a better one might be, Ill be using them but in times like right now where I still want to catch something vs getting skunked 9 out of the next 10 times where Id prefer a smaller bluegill which might allow a bigger channel to hit as well, Just my thoughts

Thanks for the input
    Salmonid

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think I would use a trap for the small 'gills. Catfish Connection has a wire mesh minnow trap, but the opening might be a little small for the 'gills; they have the same trap advertised as a crawdad trap with a larger opening that might be just the ticket. I think they're about $5.