Huron River Info

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by wolfman, Mar 8, 2006.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The Huron River, which contains channel cats and flatheads. Anglers can expect channel cats to average 16 inches and flatheads to range from 20 to 40 inches. The entire river from Monroeville to Lake Erie should produce high-quality catfishing.
    Huron River anglers should also focus on deeper holes, which are not quite as deep as those found on the Maumee. A hole measuring 6 to 7 feet deep is considered a deep hole on the Huron.
    Access may be obtained to stretches that flow through private lands by asking permission from the landowners. Bridge rights of way are also a possibility. Then there are three public-access sites. The first is at the mouth of the river along Lake Erie. Anglers may access the river from the Huron Boat Basin, which is off state Route 2. The second access site is below the Monroeville Dam, which may be reached via state Route 20. The third site is the Milan Wildlife Area, which may be reached by following Lover’s Lane Road east off state Route 113.

2. ohiocater

ohiocater New Member

State:
    ohio
    what bait do you recamend?

3. Robertb216

Robertb216 New Member

State:
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been going ot Huron for about 15 years. Pretty nice! Never caught huge ones, but you always get something from there. I always had good luck with using chicken livers

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

you wont catch many huge ones with liver rob. try gills live and fresh cut.you mite want bigger gear to after the first or second outing! lol

5. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya i never caught big cats on liver either, saturday was the first time i used blue gills and look what i caught lol. a 7 pound channel. good first time i guess.

6. Robertb216

Robertb216 New Member

State:
    Cleveland, OH
    What kind of fresh cut bait should I use?

7. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    bluegill, shad, sucker, carp any thing you can get, any thing cut up in strips or chunks will catch alot bigger channels or even a few flatties, try any live baitfish whole and theres no telling what you might catch, monter flats or a huge channel!

8. greatthosu

greatthosu New Member

State:
    AZ.
    Wolfman thanks for that info, That brings back some good memory when i lived there.

9. Cannibalcritter

Cannibalcritter Well-Known Member

State:
    Ohio
    the river runs right behind my mother n laws house right by the bridge. i lose alot of monsters down there. so many snags. And the fish always get stuck. But ive cought really nice cats out of there. At nite i always catch atleast 8 with in the 1st two hours. All rangeing ne where from 6 to 12 pounds. nice channels. But i no i lost some monsters n there. I wanna so over 40 pounds plus. I think i should find holes down from the dam. maybe a mile down stream. You think any random nice hole would hold a monster with in it..?