Huntington Reservoir/Rousch Lake

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Fishgeek, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    The DNR fishheads will be conducting a general fisheries survey on Huntington in a week or two. I'll get the info & let you guys know the number & size range of cats they catch.

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    cool man thanks!!!!!!!

3. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    That's one place I have yet to conduct my own survey. Even though every year I say I'm gonna go fish it. Heard there's fatties in there.

4. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dusky,

In the last survey there Eddie (District 4 biologist) picked up a few flatties, one being about 15 pounds. The gears used by the guys typically aren't the best at catching flatties...plus they can just be hard to find.

5. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Thanks in advance Matt! Looking forward to that info.

6. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    After the first day of netting at Rousch the DNR collected about 165 channel catfish ranging in size from 5.3 inches to 27 inches (7.6 pounds)

Electrofishing tonight & more netting tomorrow. I'll get the updated numbers out sometime Tuesday or Wednesday.

7. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    My survey of Huntington Res. from Saturday night produced one bullhead, about 8 inches and 8oz.!

8. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    That's good stuff Gary!lol Matt, thanks for the info!

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    The District 4 DNR biologists captured a total of 329 channel catfish from Huntington Reservoir last week. They ranged in size from 5 to 28 inches. 92 CCF were greater than 15 inches and 38 were larger than 18 inches.

Attached Files:

10. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Thanks Matt. How representative do you think the sample is? Do the survey methods collect samples from the deepest areas? Are the biggest fish resistant to electrofishing?

11. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Gary,

Electrofishing for CCF is pretty ineffective, especially in a reservoir. In 2 hours (8 15-minute stations throughout the reservoir) of electrofishing we only picked up 3 CCF. Our 12 gill net sets however captured 321 cats. The smallest and largest cats were captured with the gill nets. The nets are set in a variety of depths from ~6ft to ~15 feet -- or to the depth that there's sufficient D.O. for fish to live. I'm not sure what that depth was at Huntington at the time of the survey. Yes, our survey gave us a good representative sample of CCF in the reservoir.

12. run-catfish-run

run-catfish-run New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    I have fished the roush lake forever mostly crappie fishing and some average walleye. The catfish nope very very very few big fish they let the water out every year and seems to me big fish just never stay in there.I been every channel Know the place like the back of my hand very few big fish.Crappie fishing in the fall is excellent though you have your limit in about a hr 1/2. Now the damn part nice walleye but there is way to much illegal fishing that goes on there to even go buts that a different story.But there is one place in Huntington that will catch you some monster cats with the right equipment that is lake clear in town old rock quarry bank fishing is useless there but a boat and some hellva luck you catch you a big cat there I have seen them in there while feeding the carp with my son come right to the bank and pretty much laugh at you then take a nose dive back to the bottom.

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana

lake clair i thought was the name? we used to go catch trout there years ago, oh and the boat races too.

14. run-catfish-run

run-catfish-run New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    Yep Thats the name lake clear. Yes they do have trout in there. Did you catch them on the farside by the rock pile.Or there where the overflow area is it also on the far side. I heard of people catching them there but I have had NO luck at all.They also got rid of the swimming beach this year I guess they said it was polluted from the geese. I dunno I think the city is just getting cheap.If there was a way to get the fish on the ledge it be great but goes out maybe 15 feet then straight down. I was fishing off the dock area with chubs about 3:00 in the morning got a tremdous bite my pool went into a u shape hit he drag and ting there goes the line. I figure the fish went straight back to the bottom.

And yep every year they have the Indiana state championship in boat racing I go sometimes they make alot of noise about all though :)

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    correct a friend of mine races in that. gota love the smell of clots.lol

we caught the trout trolling tiny raps and rattle traps. im sure you could catch some nice trout at night with lanterns and slip floats off the sand bar if you have a boat. it wouldnt sauprise me if there are bigger ones than we get at clear lake up north. i would like to try hitting it some night for them like we do up here and see. that ramp scares the stink bait outa me though.hehe

i didnt know it had cats in it til you posted.