Huntington Dam

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by veryama1975, Jan 12, 2008.

1. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    How's the catfishing in the tailwater below Huntington Dam right now? Is anybody catching anything? What kind of fishing success do you get there in the warmer months? Thanks in advance for any help:big_smile:

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    dont think they are fishing it in the flood conditions we have bro. summer you can poke eyes and channels from what i remember. you would be better off fishing thew wabash for the big flatheads, if your looking trophys that is. if your looking for smaller fish to eat then the reservoirs are a good bet in the spring. the st joe is closer to you up by ft wayne and its loaded with channel cats.

if you get down this way(ft wayne) drop me a pm: tim

3. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks for the info Tim! If I get in the area I'll be sure to look you up. The reason I was asking about Huntington Dam is that I've heard very good things about the monsters in the Wabash & Huntington is only a 2hr drive for me. Of course, the ones I heard about were in the southern stretch of the Wabash closer to the Ohio River. In your opinion would I be better off fishing the St Joe in the Ft. Wayne area, the Saint Joseph in the Elkhart/Goshen area, or the Saint Joseph in Mottville, Constantine,Three Rivers, or Centreville in Michigan?

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that is a different st joe river bud. the one here comes from ohio meets the st marys and forms the maumee, which flows back to ohio. a fellow michigan member would be the one to ask about those rivers. or maybe one of our indiana guys from up and over that way will chime in for you. sorry i cant help you over there bro.

as far as the wabash goes, yes it holds good flats throughout its length. the three reserviors can be good for flatheads and channels too.(and easier on the boat too! lol) i think you would be diapointed in the small heavily fished tail races of those three dams. the best spots are holes down river from the dams and in the main river. you ever consider the tippy river down monticello IN. way? those reserviors hold flatheads too bro! i know we have b.o.c. members around there to get info from and they mite be closer to you.

i know you have flats in the joe and other rivers up your way. my salmon/steel buddies talk of getting them on hot n tots now and again.

tight lines

5. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Hey Tim,

The reason I was thinking about the tailraces was that I don't have a boat & I don't know when the wife will let me get one:( I guess I gonna just have to keep saving up.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i do most of my cating from shore bro., you dont need a boat. look at google earth and find a bend or creek or something that looks fishy with a road close. then you can jump out and fish it. you can really cover alot of spots that way. you will learn what ones are worth fishing after a few times. after a good rain ill run and gun creek mouths from roads. you can conect with more cats that way which means more big ones too! as far as the wabash goes at normal pool you can walk down the river except for the holes. in indiana if a river is labeled navegable you can go anywhere within the "visible high water mark". creeks are different they are private property! so if you put in the time you can catch big fish most dont even know are there.

7. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    Thanks for the info Tim. I'm gonna start trying to find more spots with maps. Is google earth better than google maps (w/ satellite view)? I already use google maps.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that i couldnt tell you bud, sorry.

9. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member

State:
    Indy
    Google Earth is much better IMO.