Hunting with Squirrel Dogs

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Jerry60k, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    SO does anyone here hunt with curs or fiests? I used to have me a nice one but my youngest decided to sneak up behind him and yank his tail getting bit in the face :( (Not a major bite thankfully)

Anyhow let me here about some of your hounds etc as I am lookin to get back into it.In the meantime I will throw some pics out there for your viewing.

http://earth.prohosting.com/j60k/index.htm

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    nope but have years ago , she was a good dog tree squerils and keep them occupied never once offered to eat them but would stand at the watch when it hit the ground , would chase a rabbit even go in a hole after a ground hog she was a good dog , a terrier i think short haired

3. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    A few years ago, I went hunting with a friend of a friend who had a cur dog. He told me hunting squirrels with a dog was a great hunt. I must admit, for an old squrrel hunter who gets a lot of squirrels each year, this was quite an experience.
    I'm a still hunter! And if I do say so myself, I have great woodmanship skills as far as being able to sneak up on squirrels to a close range and put a small ball in the noggen of a little critter. Hunting with a dog, was unbelievable. In less than an hour, we bagged five squirrels and saw a couple more. Anyone who has an opportunity to hunt with a dog, do it. You'll never forget it.
    Sparky

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I did this once, and it was fun, but what I really like about huntin' tree rats is slippin' around quietly with my .22 and a couple of cigars.

Dogs and rabbits, now that's something else!:smile2:

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    When I was younger I had a small terrier that was a great squirrel dog. After hunting with one it is a lot different not having one.

6. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I have a mountain cur that has a world champion background with papers. It is good and started but needs finishing. I got him out of TN. I just dont have time to put him in the woods enough.
    Stephen

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Stephen, I had one of those Original Mountain Curs from Tenn. stock (see pic), and really liked him. I had him started, like you, but took sick and couldn't finish him last year, then he disappeared this summer. I had let him out for exercise and I'm afraid he might have been stolen. Also had a registered miniature dachshund disappear the same way recently. I keep a close watch on the yellow lab and the rat terrier my grandson has left. :sad2:

8. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Blackwater that was a pretty dog. The are a hot item in this area too. I keep a watch on mine when I can. When I am on the other commputer I will try to post a picture of him.

9. lamudslinger76

lamudslinger76 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We run treeing fiests & mtn. currs down here. Going run a couple fiests tomorrow.

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i have a feist terrier but i dont hunt with him hes in my picture.