Hunting winter blue catfish!!!

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by KYCATFISHHUNTER, Dec 13, 2006.

1. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    Hi BOC brothers, Im pretty new to blue fishing and i've heard winter time is one of the best times to fish for them. But I have one problem, i dont have a boat. I was wondering if there was a way to fish for them besides driffting for them in a boat? thanks for any info. The BOC is the best!!!!

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jeff, I catch plenty of blues year round, but the bigguns seem easier to target during the colder months. The only time I drift for them is during the warmer months. When the water temps drop to the 40s and lower the fish are quite a bit slower and don't really take a bait at the speed they will during warmer water periods. Even though the bite is good for blues in the colder water, they tend to lite bite and mouth the bait alot more instead of exploding on it like in the summer. You can still fish for them with some success along the bank. They will stack up in the slack part of eddy holes during the extremely colder periods and that is when I have the best luck targetting them, they will also be closer to the bank at this time. You will want to use fresh cut or live shad or skipjacks for the best results. The best place to find an eddy hole is to fish the mouths of feeder creeks running into the main river. Vern

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jeff, by the way, Where in Northern KY do you live, I am in Bedford, Ky? Vern

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    The majority of my blues are caught close to the bank but they are also along steep dropoffs as well. You want to fish an area that is close to a dropoff to deep water if you know that it is there. primarily in the winter your blues will hover down into the deep and they will come in from the deep on a dropoff during the early morning hours and evening hours to feed. I like my rocky areas but also other structres are good as well like trees and stumps. Just make sure you are where they are in the winter. Deeper areas and also around humps and dredges.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    So thats means, u can fish alone the bank for blues?

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Cj, yes you can catch blues from the bank, but some places are better than others. Like Bluehunter said, look for areas of deep water that are closer to the bank. Like I said eddys are a good place to start. Vern

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ok I will try it.

8. KYCATFISHHUNTER

KYCATFISHHUNTER New Member

State:
    NORTHERN KENTUCKY
    Vern and Bluehunter, Thanks for the info. I will make sure i put it to use.
    Vern, I live in Cold Springs. Im about 20 min from Meldahl dam. Im still learning a lot about reading rivers and fishing them. Your info gives me a chance to get to know the river a little better. LOL I will have to make an adventure to try to find some feeder creeks. I know of a few small ones, but i dont think they lead into any deep water. I will make sure i keep you posted. Thanks

9. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jeff, you might be surprized about small feeder causing deep eddys. One of the best eddy holes in my area is caused from a gravel point that jutts out of a feeder ditch that under normal weather periods is completely dry. It is more about the water that they are located in than the size. Outside bends also tend to have deeper water nearer the bank and if you can find an area with the outside bend and feeder creek combined you will most usually find a good hole. Vern

10. juscatfishin

juscatfishin New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thx to KYCATFISHHUNTER and those that posted. This will be my first year to attempt to catch Blue Cat> I too don't have a boat and found your info very helpful.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Also one important element in Winter times blue chasing is persistance and patience. If you stay at it you will eventually succeed. The bulk of my big blues were caught in the winter and when I caught them, it was not exactly a wide open bite. The last 30 pounder I got a few weeks ago was one of the few exceptions when I was on fire with a good bite. Also should have had a 50 pounder along with it.

Make sure you use nice cuts of bait for them. Fresh cut preferably. Cut bait heads work well I have found. And make sure you use bloody bait and something oily. Your shad, bluegill, mackerel and other forms of cutbait fits those descriptions to a T.