Hunting Videos...Realistic?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Sep 1, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was up late last night watching Deer Hunting Videos and getting my archery equipment ready for the season. I never ceases to amaze me, the selection of good bucks in these videos. I've hunted hard, in 5 states, since 1975 and and have NEVER seen 4,5,6 "shooter bucks" in the same field of view. I've never had a stand where there was a parade of bucks passing by all day long, allowing me to pick and choose which one to shoot. I got pretty frustrated last night hearing these guys saying things like, " We've been hunting hard for five days now and finally got him! ( the monster buck)" I've hunted some real good places and hunted hard for weeks and never got a shot at a monster buck. Some of these guys were only on the stand for 20 minutes when huge bucks walked right under them. I'm going to get my cousin into hunting for the first time this year. I'm not so sure I want to show him these videos. I think it would give him an un-realistic idea of what to expect. I don't him to get the impression that all it takes is a couple hours in the woods to come home with a "wall hanger". What are your thoughts on these videos?

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    But consider how long it takes them just to get 15 minutes of the hunt footage. Days, weeks...

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    That's exactly my point. The videos don't give a realistic account of what it takes to get a big buck.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i think they should say they've been there as long as they actually have, in fact some of those shows on the outdoor channel actually say they've been there hunting for several days or several weeks on some.

5. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    How many are taken behind high fences? There is one within 75 miles of where I live. I know some hunters that stay in the woods and don't have the kind of success that these sponsored hunters do.

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    The most deer I saw go by my stand was one time when a "herd" came running through. I gave up counting at 26, but there had to have been another dozen after that. About ten minutes later, they got spooked by something an came right back through. One stopped for just a second. She made some fine roasts.

7. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Oh, also, the most "big" bucks I have seen at one time was 6, in a alfalfa field in early October, just before dark. All were 10 point or more with long wide antlers. They had already started rubbing the velvet off.

Had to use a spotting scope to see them, they were about 1/4 mile away.

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I don't think that most of the T.V guys would be caught dead behind a high fence, the fall out is too great( ask Noel Feather) Those guys are not in the stands before the big one comes for long. But, the property manager that manages that land has a 100% grasp on what is going on. They know all the deer movements and where they are and will be. Plus, having Bill Jordon or any other well known outdoors person hunting your land is great advertisement. So you better put them on game and put them on it quick. Just my 2 cents.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The high fences didn't stop Jimmy Houston! He's on video shooting a obviously drugged deer behind a fence, but that link is in another post.

As far as showing your cousin the videos, I would if i could explain to him that it took days or weeks of sitting in the tree to get that 20 minutes of video, and make sure he understands it. Make sure he understands that the film is for entertainment only, just like a movie. You wouldn't believe the film left on the floor after editing for a regular movie!

I like to watch them now and then too, for entertainment, but it never happens in my stand like it does on TV.

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Some of the baddest videos I ever saw, was when Roger Raglin first started out, I've seen shots that he made that were all of 5 or 6 feet from him, on some of the biggest bucks you ever saw.

11. Don1

Don1 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I believe alot of these films are shot at "Ranches " and "Preserves", were deer are fed and tended.Tends to be a canned hunt,they may not be fenced in, but it's not necessarely out in the wild either.

12. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    on giant hunting preserves the fences are actually put in place to keep deer out not in,its the only way they can control the buck to doe ratio.when it comes to videos i try to chose the ones that say 100 percent fair chase and im not interested in watching guys hunt on giant texas ranches.the whitetail madness series by drury brothers are shot on their own farms with the exception of several hunts on each film they are great.

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Randal, are you talkin about the one just north of Waskom Tx. ?

14. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A guide service which I will not name had landed a "big name hunter to come video a hunt and hopefully put them on the map in the hunting world. Think what it would cost for these guides to run a 30 minute ad on tv?.. Well this outfit shut down their service for 2 years allowed no hunters, installed hundreds of trail cams, did all the scouting knew where all the big boys were and when they were going to be at any given point in day. The "hotshot" hunters came in shot their buck and the guide service was now going to rake it in they were famous. One problem they had taken all their trail cam film to a walmart where one of the developers also was a hunter. The reason they knew where and when was because they were baiting and piles of corn were seen in many of the photo's that were turned over to Dnr since it is illegal to bait in Iowa. These film makers dont spend time in the woods the places they go to hunt do it for them and let them hunt free. Think about these guys who are hunting in kansas one day, south dakota the next, texas the next dont take a brain to figure out they arent doing the grunt work...

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Snuff flicks aren't my cup of tea...*shrug*...

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If your gonna hunt, do it indian style, not Jimmy Houston style.

17. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i agree, i believe most of the TV hunts are in high fence, but sometimes deer in places like this get so used to humans it takes all the challenge out of it, it becomes deer shooting, not deer hunting

18. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hunted for more than 6 years for deer before I even got a shot at one. To me he is a monster and a trophy, he hangs on our wall. I enjoy watching some of these videos, just to see the actions of the deer, I think you can learn things from a lot of these videos if you listen to them talk rather than watch the kill. Drury boys have a lot of education in a lot of their videos, I enjoy watching primos, I have learned alot from their videos on turkey hunting. I like to watch Michael Waddel because he is funny to watch, and sometimes educational. I don't think they actually put in the leg work that we do on our hunts. They would really impress me if they did their shooting on public land. I shot my first turkey on public land after everyone told me it would take years to do it, guess what, I did it on my first year hunting.

Last year we booked a guided hog hunt, we got there and the hogs we were to be hunting were in high fences. I stuck my hand in the fence at a hog less than 3 feet and all she did was back off about 4 feet. We called the manager and he informed us those were indeed the hogs we would be hunting. Now we paid for this hunt in advance, we informed him these were not the hogs we were looking for, we were told on the phone prior to getting there, that these hogs had at least 3" tusks, to find out by one of the guides that they don't. So after telling them we were not interested in a canned hunt, and we were looking for a mount with teeth, The big office called us back and offered to have the taxedermist put what ever size teeth we wanted in our kill. Not only was I appalled and insulted, but royally mad, it made me wonder what else they can put on to make something really look like a trophy. I thanked him for the thought, but politely told him we were not interested in an artifical hunt. We wanted an actual trophy. We could never hunt under a high fence where an animal is tame, but watching some of these videos that are produced, a person has to wonder if a lot of them are tame, I mean heck a lot of time it looks like they are posing for the cameras.:crazy:

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Big name hunter, I think not. Should have chosen someone from this place. :wink:

20. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Id say most hunting videos are nothing but marketing tools. Before watching them tell him this isnt how it really works in real life. Unless your willing to pay for it. I would love to see a video of them finding sign, making out trails and putting up their own stands or blinds. Not them just sitting in the ranches stand, would also like to see them hunt some public land.