Hunting tips. Scent. ?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by bootshowl, Nov 21, 2006.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I ain't too proud to beg...What products, lures, etc. do you folks use deer hunting. At BPS they got a whole boatload full of soaps, cover scents, lure scents etc. I'm just not up on all this stuff, & I swear it was like ladies shampoos. I didn't know what to get. I did get some scent killer, autumn formula, by wildlife research & some dryer sheets to tumble my hunting clothes after a scent free wash. That made sense. But what scent lures do you beleive in? Man they got wicks, disc's, drizzles, incense sticks.
    Wow. Kinda overwhelming. How bout some feedback so I don't have ta read till my eyes are sore. Checked Cabela's, same thing. Pages of it.
    I think I'm technology challanged across the board!

2. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    well boots, im not sure whats the best but i know my husband uses Hunters Specialties brand Fresh Earth spray its a human scent neutralizer---called SCENT-A-WAY which stinks to high heaven...then uses H.S. Scents doe estrus sex scent wafers,,,and here lately, hes been tryin somethin called Moonfire, think its a cover scent...barely can smell it...is the only one i will let him open in the house. the rest hafta stay out in the shed. hope this helps

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am sure you will get loads of good advice. I think scentloc clothes properly washed and dried combined with hunting with the wind in your favor is the most important thing. I only use attractants, sex lures and whatever if I think the rut is actually on and I don't use it where I think others are using it. I am sure there are good lures out there. I use Tink's.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Gary for me the best thing is to eliminate your scent as much as possible. I start by washing all of my hunting clothes in baking soda. This will remove any odors in your clothes and is cheaper than buying the detergents that is sold for this. After drying put all clothes in a trash sack to keep clean and odor free. I do buy the scent free bar soap and take a shower washing my hair and all with this. I also strongly recomend a good scent blocker suit. pants,jacket with a full face mask keep these stored in a trash sack also. After walking to the stand I will use the autumn formula scent killer on my hat hair and neck area. If the rut is not on I spray coon pee liberally on the bottom of my boots then walk to my stand and will re-apply every 100 yards or so this will keep from spooking any deer that cross the path I walked in on. People lagh at this but a good fresh cow pie works well to:eek:oooh: . If the rut is on I will use doe in heat scent either srayed on the bottom of my boots or on a drag rag. I have killed numerous deer that were trailing me up. After getting to my stand I only use attracting scents during the rut. I have tried different methods but the one that I use now is the pee-willy-wick. It works well and you get more usage out of your scent with these. I'm not saying this is the best way it's just the way I use them and it works well for me.

5. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    I spray my clothes down with scent-a-away the night before get up next morning and do the same. When i get to the spot am going to hunt i put out some deer pee and where i sit i put out some fox pee i have. and i had a doe come with in 22 steps of me yesterday evening and didn't even know we where there at a 12 year old boy with me. Fellow was me and a buddy how good code blue was so i put it out for my deer pee and i killed my 2nd buck in over 10 years so am hooked on it now. Good luck to what ever you try.Pm me and IL give you what i use to hang in the tree with the scent on it don't feel right mention it here. its cheap to.:embarassed:

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Some good advice so far. I just switched to rubber boots this year and I like them for keeping in your scent and being waterproof, also dont have to worry about tying em. I wash with plain old Ivory soap, supposed to be scentproof. I just wash my clothes in plain old water and dry them in the dryer without anything. If I think there is any scent on them just hang them outside or put them in a bag with pine boughs or something like that. Here lately I just been leaving everything in the truck. Scent this year Ive tried Tinks Gel _ nothing, Doe 2000 - nothing, tried Moonfire the first time this year and got two does within 5 yards of the scent bomb and seen a 7 pointer right behind the doe. So far I like Moonfire. I think most of the stuff out there and that I buy is not needed.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    For scent attractant I use Tink's #69, on my boots(rubber) & on pee wicks near my stand(s).

Shower with the scent eliminator soaps, I prefer the one from Hunter specialties,JMO.

For Cover scent, I do what the Indians have done since Noah had the ark, take the leaves or bark off the trees from the area in which you will be hunting, rub them all over the clothes you will be wearing & put them in a trashbag. Try to change into your clothes, after you get out of your vehicle, which is loaded with more scents than the chinese have in population:eek:oooh:

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I tried that dominant buck lure last year but I don't think it works. I drank 4 bottles of that nasty stuff and never saw a buck! LOL

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    LOL, Just guessing Willie, but do you play bass?
    :lol:

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yes, but not in the band. That's a band member's bass headstock in front of me. It was cropped from a promo picture. In the band I play Guitar, Slide, Dobro, and sing. I started as a drummer in 1964.

11. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    coon pee around my tree and on the limbs around me(which smells pretty much like cat pee to me) and i also have this little contraption i made to put scent on, i tired a long shoe sting to a good sized split ring and cut up 2 more shoe strings in about 5-7 inch peices and tied them all to the string. and i drag it behind me soaked with tinks 69 or tinks #1 doe pee, and then take it off and hang it in a tree around 10 yards in front of me. i dont shower with any soaps or anything. hasnt really been nessisary for people before the age of deer hunting scents so its not gunna be nessiscary for me:tounge_out:

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have used scent away and that was ok but ive had incredible results with the e dead down wind products along with the scentlok suit & mask and also for estrous scent I wont use anything more then code blue. I've had a fox & my doe I just shot walk thru my wind when I hunt from the ground with out any hesitation on their part.

13. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Here is my thought on it. They are all just gimmicks. Tinks #69 works during the rut but it's not a "cure-all". As for all those other products, I look at it this way: The market hunters almost killed every deer in the country in the beginning of the 20th century without use of scents. They spent weeks out in the woods without bathing and killed 10's of thousands of deer. One valuable lesson came from their efforts: "You can't hunt a deer that is down wind of you! Period!" If you breath, you are giving off lots of scent. You smell like a predator if you eat meat. Regardless of what you spray on your cloths, you are sending out blasts of scent every time you exhale.
    After years of deer hunting and raising and working with bear and deer dogs, I learned three things work the best to fool deer (and dogs); rubber boots, scouting, and getting above the deer. In regular hunting boots, my dogs could always backtrack and find me no matter how far they ran or I walked. I used to mess with the dogs by wearing regular boots when we went into the mountains, then switching to high rubber boots after they ran over a ridge. Then I'd walk 30-50 yards down wind and watch them try to find me. They always lose the scent where I changed and could never find me.
    Getting high in a tree fools any deer that does get down wind into thinking you are further away then you are. At ground level, they can tell exactly where you are by the scent.
    Scouting takes the guess work out of deer hunting. They are creatures of habit and will do the same thing at the same time everyday until something in their environment changes. To me, hunting is 75% scouting and 25% actual hunting. I spend way more time doing all sorts of strange things to figure out deer patterns, then I do carrying a weapon.....or worrying about all the latest gimmicks on the market.

14. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    :lol: yall go to all the extremes you want buying all that high price junk they sell , i think its funny . before we came to this country indians killed deer with a spear , then when the white man came they killed them with muzzle loaders , any how years ago they never had all this junk people buy to better their chances infact the scent covers they used were all natural : dirt , tree sap , grass , leaves :lol: those are what i use granted i dont kill many deer but its not a requirement to kill every time you hunt . most of the time i hunt for the sake of being there iv seen deer just about every time i go but im the only one in this house that eats it so why kill it :lol: im more into the trophy buck and have passed up some nice 8 pointers waiting on the one i want .

i usually use dirt from the ground , dig it up and throw it up in the air and sprinkle it around iv had deer close enuogh to me to reach out and grab their ears :lol: sometimes i shower before i go hunting sometimes i dont this country is so populated that deer are used to the scent of man and they simply do not fear it but they know from the sight of man that its best to get out of dodge :lol: iv had deer stomp their feet , snort , blow and jump around looking in all directions trying to spot me when i was so close i could see my reflection in their eyes , the main thing is not to move become one with your suroundings blend in and be unseen . sorry to inform all you guys that waist your many on man made crap but deer aint that smart and they follow different paths for a reason granted if you find a path thats traveled alot sit near it long enough the deer will come thru that area but if your not still enough they will see you blink or move your head in their direction .

deer arent much of a challenge :lol:

15. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    on my local news the other day there was this whole thing where they went to gander mountain to talk to "local pro" deer hunters about how much they spend on average per season and what hey spend it on. it amazed me on how much these idiots spend on deer scent and lures and such. i carry a grunt tube, some coon pee. and every once in awhile i will maybe carry some doe pee. but thats only when i start to get to the point where i want a deer so bad id shoot one with spots(not really...) and i do fine. these guys were on here saying you need to use cover scents, soaps, shampoos, carry 3 or 4 differnt calls, see what the deer will respond to and it will make you a grade a hunter. in my opinion a grade a hunter is one who wears heavy clothing that looks like it belongs to a lumberjack, a flintlock muzzleloader, no scents, and smells like he hasnt showered in 3 weeks and goes out and kills a huge state record buck. talk about hard, waiting for your shot to go off after you pull the trigger and hear "CLICK-SSSSSSSSSS!!!!!"

16. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Jayson everything is big business in America. Gosh look at yer fishing tackle...same thing. Lumberjacks don't look like lumberjacks anymore. Went to clothing that technology improved. Wool isn't the best anymore. That's why I posted this thread to get ideas & find out what works. Got a great idea from you on yer scent drag...& something good from every post. In every opinion & offer of advice you can usually find a thread of truth; & the learning experience and that learning curve should keep right on curving till they put ya in the ground. As fer your opinion for smell, lucky for you the Prom comes before Deer season. Should help you get a date...LOL. Thanks.
    :smile2:

17. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Putting leaves in a bag with my clothes has worked the best for me. Like said before, no matter what you do, put the wind in your face. They can even smell your eyes. If they smell you, the younger ones will look for ya and try to key in on ya; where as, the older ones will just high tale it or walk off without trying to first see or hear ya.

18. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    2 Cents

If u hunt an area were alot of people burn their leaves, trash, etc. one can build a fire down wind of u a distance. It will help cover your sent and attact their visual attenion.

Just be careful u don't burn up the woods!! :roll_eyes:

:smile:

19. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I hunt some beef farms so stomping in "Cow Pies" is the best cover scent. I also use the bladder contents and glands from the first deer I kill.

20. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I never use products to try to cover up my scent, I have never had a problem getting a deer, If I am bow hunting I will not go buy anything, I just take a trash bag put my hunting clothes inside the bag with a bunch of dried leaves and the same with my boots.

Chris