Hunting time during rut?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by calogan, Nov 6, 2009.

1. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    What time of day do you hunt during the rut? I've always believed that the best times were early(shortly after sunrise) and late(shortly before sunset). A friend of mine just told me however that he read that most Boone and Crockett bucks are shot early afternoon (1-2:00). What do you guys think about this?:confused2:

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    best times for me are from 10 am till noon or a little after. best overall time is 11am.

3. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    It really can be anytime. Those bucks will have the does moving all day

4. perrycounty.in

perrycounty.in New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I try to hunt all day when possible during the rut. But ive seen and taken alot of my bigger bucks between the 10-2 time period. If i had to choose between morning, mid day or evening id take the mid day hands down. :wink:

5. grandpa7

grandpa7 Member

State:
    alabama
    Early in the season--early morning. During the rut--mid afternoon. No question about it.

6. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I am in the woods hunting, especially gun hunting I will sit in the woods from an hour before the sun comes up til its too dark. I love to hunt the lunch time period. Especially when I am hunting an area that has other hunters nearby. It seems like when the hunters leave the woods they push deer away from them. And I notice this even more during the rut when a buck is bedded up with a doe. Most of the good bucks I have seen has been during that time. And I acredit that to other hunters pushing the deer towards me.

7. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Those big bucks have a tendency to show up during any time of the day. So if you have a lead butt, I would recommend sitting it out, Sunrise to Sunset!! Seems most of the ones harvested are around the noon time and early afternoon. I really believe in the moon phase!! Don't really like the Full Moon, because I think the deer rut at night time for the most part, but give me any other Moon Phase and I'll be out hunting!!

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I believe the deer have people patterened. They know when we go to lunch!!

9. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I try to hunt all day during the rut!

10. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    when temps are warm like they are now in Kansas early morning has seen more activity - however I don't beleive much if any breeding has been taking place yet - lots of chasing by younger deer but not seeing older class deer yet (at least I'm not) that said if the temps don't get too high (say if it tops at 50 or so) I typicaly see alot of the bigger bucks late morning to early afternoon when the does are typicaly bedded - these deer know they're bedded and will travel from bedding area to bedding area in search of a hot doe - then early evening they will get close to the preferred food sources and hang out down wind of stagging areas till dark trying to intercept does - I think alot of guys bump deer when they wait too late to go set up on feeding areas and never know the bucks were there - it's funny I was fishing a month ago wishing it were warmer and now it's in the mid to upper 70's - can't wait till the next good cold front!!!:embarassed:

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    as you can find a lot of big bucks killed in the afternoon during rut, you will also find that a lot of states gun seasons are during rut. with gun season comes a immense number of hunters that havent been in the woods all year. around 11-12 and 3-4 alot of those hunters are moving in and out ether to or from lunch. jumping deer off beds and out of their thickets. personally during gun season i hunt low gaps and places that deer will cross around that time. that way when the guys the next farm over start jumping deer on their way to food and a nap, i can kill big boy on his way to an escape. also during the rut the temps are generally cooler and deer start to move more during the daylight hours. as we all know big bucks become dumb during the rut, just as all of us men have when we were coming of age and rutting. in saying that, as the young men chase women all day and night so does our horny antlered friends. imagine if you only had a 2-4 week period to spread your seed every year, you would be running wild also. JMO

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    A really good reason that so many trophy bucks are killed from 10:00-2:00 is after all the does are bedded down, the bucks go from bedding area to bedding area looking for hot does. find a spot between 2 thick bedding areas and you've found a bucks corridor.

13. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    SOunds like I've been missing some good hunting in the middle of the day.:eek:oooh: I'll have to give it a try this weekend...

14. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If I can stand it, I'll stay out all day, I just take a snack and a drink. There tends to be a slow period from about 9-11 and 2-4, but you can see deer all day long, it just depends on your spot and what type of day it is.