Hunting Time Again!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Whistler, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Well, Saturday is opening day of our Muzzleloader season. We've been fixing up our ladderstands, organizing our hunting gear, cleaning and sighting in our firearms, sharpening knives and just generally prepping for what will be the most fun of the year for us. I love catching a big catfish, but deer camp(even if it's in your own driveway) just can't be beat for some of the best memories to be had. Soon we'll be sitting in trees before first light, waiting for that all important rush that comes with seeing the first deer of the year. Doesn't matter if it's a huge buck or a very small yearling. It' just being out there and seeing it all first hand that's important. I've watched racoons walk past my stands, coyotes, weasels of all types, snakes, bobcats and just about any other animal that's out in our woods. I think the greatest thing I've ever seen in the woods was a bobcat on the hunt. Course I didn't know this till it was all but over with. LOL I was sitting in a treestand one morning and just about 30 minutes after first light I saw a squirrel come down a tree and head across a fallen log that was lying across a dry creek bottom. About half way across the log a bobcat jumped up out of the bottom and made an attempt to grab a quick bite to eat. LOL But luckily for the little squirrel, it missed. That squirrel was in high gear back up that tree and it wasn't none too happy that the ol' bobcat had tried to make him breakfast that morning and he was letting every squirrel in the neighborhood know about it too. LOL Things like that are what stay with us for a lifetime. That happened about 7 years ago. But you know what? None of this would be nearly as fun without our friends or hunting buddies. I'm a very lucky person when it comes to that. Anyone that knows me knows that I have friend that loves to do all of this as much as I do. He has stuck with me through all the months of not catching fish this year, he helps me with nearly anything I'm doing at home. He helps with all the preps we do for hunting season and I think he enjoys it as much as I do. I'm really looking forward to this hunting season. I want to shoot a nice big buck as much as the next guy, though I'll shoot a doe just as quick if I'm legal in doing so. LOL But it's these experiences we have with good friends that make it fun and stick with you for so many years. My fishing and hunting partner is Bob Goodwin(Kittycatcher) from right here on the BOC. Bob and I have known each other since 1981 when he was my squad leader in the aviation unit I was in at Fort Carson while in the army. We really didn't start doing all this outdoor stuff til about 5 years ago, but I'm sure glad we did. He puts up with my BS and is still as good a friend as a person could ever ask for. Even if he does have a BOC fishing rod and I don't! LOL Thanks Bob!

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I sure wish I could hunt! Heck, Bryan I sure miss they days I spent in a deer stand. When you get a back injury as bad as mine, on some days just gettin out of bed is a chore. Thanks for the post.

P.S. I would like one of those B.O.C. rods also! I wont anything with B.O.C. on it.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    You're right. It's all about the memories and seeing things like that bobcat. I wish someone could explain that to my wife. She thinks it's all about getting out of work!

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    That was the nail on the head. Ya can't explain it to "city folk". I never mind not filling my tag, as the moment of truth, is seldom what I remember the best....It's a lil part of nature you get to take home with you as a blessing. And she always gives it to ya, like grandma at Xmas; "lil something I saw an thought of you".

:big_smile:

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks for the post there Bryan. It's amazing what you see in the woods that will make lasting memories. Last year I watched a squirrel about 20 yards out from my stand when an owl came swooping in and pick him right up. I didn't see a single deer that day but that was a great experince and made for a great hunt. Walking up into your stand while it's still dark and seeing first light and everything coming alive in the woods is such a great experience. Nothing better than being outdoors with friends and nature.:big_smile:

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    That's nuts.

Yesterday as the sun was coming up, my hunting buddy and I were sitting in his pop-up blind at the edge of an oak clearing. The woods were just starting to wake up. The birds were starting to flutter around & jays were starting to shriek out throught he morning air. You could hear coyotes going nuts and howling their heads off, and squirrels scampering around. I whispered to him "This is why I hunt." He just nodded & we didn't say another word for about 45 minutes or so.

Those who don't know how to enjoy the woods waking up while hunting, just can't understand the fascination with it. Some folks see God in other ways, but my favorite way to recognize God's qualities is through his creation, just like Paul said in Romans.

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    my best "trophy" from last year is actually a piece of wood. it was one of those gorgeous afternoons on my favorite stand that sits on top of a ridge that runs through an old cypress swamp. i could see river otters, wood ducks, squirrells, coons, deer, turkeys, hogs, butterfly's, you name it. even the shades of light pouring through the trees looked like honey. there was an old piece of cypress bark with a big knothole in the middle of it. i guess it was 4 ft. long 2 ft. tall or so. anyway, i decided to take it home with me. so i carried it all the way out to the truck. it now resides on the edge of my deck. every time i look at it, no matter what mood im in, it reminds me of how simple life can be, if you let it.

8. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Thanks Everyone. That love of the outdoors is what keeps me going at it every year. 3 more days and a wake up for us. LOL Not that I'm counting days or anything.

9. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    I am ready for this time of the year, too! And Byran is such a patient man when it comes to hunting, I have learned a lot from him. Now I want to put it to good use. And I am sorry to some of the hunter that hunt for trophy bucks only, but I hunt to put meat in the freezer. So I am gfoing to take a few does this year. I wish the rest of you the best in your hunting indever.

10. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well said Whistler. i have finally settled on a good hunting buddy. My son! this is his first year hunting with me. all the excitement i felt when i was new at it is back again, in teaching him what i've learned. i lost a friend like the one you spoke of. we did everything outdoors together. mushrooms, ginseng, fish, hunt, etc, etc,.. some of the excitement was gone since he was'nt there. but, i feel it again. and it feels great this year. this year is gonna be great!!!

11. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Well tomorrow is the day. Everything is about ready and we're rarin to go. Hopefully by this time tomorrow, I'll have a deer and my butcher's house. I think tomorrow night will be a jerky making night. Need to use some of the deer meat from last year still. Bob's as excited a little kid going to Disneyland for the first time. LOL And don't let him tell you otherwise. LOL Hopefully I'll be posting some good pics tomorrow evening. Hopefully of a nice buck Bob will have gotten. That's what I want to see.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Bryon, Anybody ever tell you that you look just like the actor George Kennedy? Anyway, good luck tomorrow. Our muzzle loader starts in VA tomorrow.

13. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Was a good first day. Bob got a decent 5 pt buck. I got two big does this afternoon. We can take up to 3 does a day here. They're trying to thin the does out cause we are so overpopulated with deer. Was fun today. Hope tomorrow is as good.

14. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well Brother's and Sister's;
    I am again looking forward to getting out hunting with my Best Friend and Hunting Buddy!:big_smile::smile2: This woman happens to be My Wife too! :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:
    We have a 100+ acres of PRIVATE Land about a 45 minute drive from our home and with the exception of Opening Day we will have it all to ourselves during the whole season.
    If we see any extra Doe's we have access to extra permits too! Many of you know that we hunt for meat and NOT the Rack! My Wife's Venison Shish-Q-Bobs [[Note: This is the best I can spell "Shish-Q-Bobs as I have lost my notes!! sorry!!]] are to kill for too!
    Ummmm, :p````` Water chestnuts, miniature potatoes, Pineapple chunke, Big Venison chunks delicately cooked after marinating in a special sauce {{which is from her Great Grandmother's recipe from Scotland}} , baby onion's, bamboo shoots, ... ... One time, I was able to get 4 of them down at one sitting but I was sooo stuffed I was miserable for a bit. Normally 2 is a full meal along with the salads, buttered rolls, ect.
    About a day or two before she makes them I make a severe cut in my food intake in anticipation of the meal. We usually have a baked potato with real butter and sour cream with bacon bits applied liberally with a touch of salt and pepper with other "spices, ect" to your own taste and a few other things that I am NOT going to mention because I don't want to get anyone's stomach growling! :sad2:
    I too went through that "trophy" stage many, many, years ago but I found out that those 16 and 22 pointers just did NOT taste as good as a younger Buck or an older Doe! I also learned as a child {{ for those of you that don't know, I was born and raised Country! :big_smile:}} that it was not the big Buck you had to outsmart but that older DOE that kept watch over EVERYTHING!!!
    In closing, I apologize for all the typos! :-( I'm nodding off on the keyboard and can't spell straight tonight to save myself!!:sad2:
    Anyway, I hope ALL of you have a Fun, Tag Filling, SAFE! Hunt! with a lot of good photographs for the 2007 Season Albums! :big_smile:
    In closing, {THANK YOU ALL} for sharing your stories for me to read. I hope I have a good season too so that I can post and brag about how well me and the Wife did this season too!
    Cordially, Fraternally, and Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post and heading for bed in the Cave with Raven]]]]]

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i guess i fall into the catagory of keeping things to remind me of all my outdoor adventures.i found an old hand carved boat paddle in a pile of driftwood on the dam at the picwick gathering and i have it sitting here beside the comp.table.my most memerable deer hunt was 4 years ago when a small bear,bout 150lbs,tried to get in my tree stand with me.his momma was bout 30 yards away and they kept me in my tree till 10 that night.i can still here their footsteps following me off the mountain.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My opening day was about the same as yours Bryon. I wound up taking a 5 pointer about 5:45pm yesterday evening after 11 1/2 hours on stand. It was a beautiful day here anyway.

17. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Since I bought my last truck I have smashed it up twice with deer driving down the road (once to go fishing). The last time I went fishing I saw 3 running next to the road. Took my wife to Eureka Springs, Arkansas a couple of weeks ago and 8 doe's ran out in front of me at dusk. I can't hardly go anywhere without the high risk of hitting one in a vehicle. I would like to trade my luck for something else.

18. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Hunting season is my favorite time of year. Nothing beats the feeling and memories that you get in deer camp. I love to fish, don't get me wrong, but there is nothing like a crisp fall day in the deer woods.

19. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Today was different. Got up and went to the treestands and watched the leaves fall. LOL Nothing else was happening this morning. Went back this afternoon and it was real windy. Probably 25 MPH or more at times. About an hour or so before dark it settled down to dead calm. Almost immediately there were deer moving. I saw what I thought was an average size doe walking behind me. I turned and somehow managed to miss on her. She walked off like nothing had even happened. About 15 minutes later here comes another one from right where that one had disappeared into the woods. This one went down for me. As I was descending my tree, I caught movement out of the corner of my eye. I sat down, pulled my muzzleloader back up and watched as a nice buck walked by me right on the edge of a fairly steep valley. I never had a good shot so it was a lucky deer. When I got to the doe I shot, I discovered that this doe was a button buck. I had looked close before I shot to make sure it was a doe, but it wasn't. So I ended up with a button buck the size of an average doe. Next time I'll look harder I guess. All in all, not a bad muzzle loader season for us. Bob got a 5 pt buck and I ended up with 2 big mature does and one large button buck. LOL At least to me it's large. Two weeks til opening day of gun season. I can't wait!

20. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here in Missouri our Firearms season opens on the 10th and both Raven, and myself, are R-E-A-D-Y :wink::big_smile::smile2::cool2: as are our High Powered Rifles and the custom, hand crafted cartridges !!! :big_smile:
    BEST OF LUCK to the Rest of You Brothers' and here is hoping you have a fun, SAFE, upcoming Hunt! :wink::big_smile:
    Cordially and Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[ End of Post for now]]]]]