Hunting the Neuse River

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAYNC, Oct 12, 2006.

1. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Anyone hunting between new bern and kinston saturday morning. I plan on fishing all night and maybe hunt till 10 or so in the morning. Hopefully I get something nice wheather it be a nice cat or a deer. Maybe I'll see someone out there.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Jason, good luck brother.

3. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Well, after I got done fishing by weyerhauser I decided it was time to start looking for a hunting spot. There was so much fog on the river I couldnt even get on plane, so I had to go about six miles on a fast idle. Even with the spotlight off and the moon out it was very hard to see. Once I found the spot I was going to hunt, I pulled up to the bank right past shooting time, and DUMB me I didnt have the gun ready. A deer jumped and trotted away laughing at me. I got everything ready and went a little ways into the woods, after about 1 1/2 hours of sitting in one spot, and almost falling asleep since I was up over 24hrs already, I decided to get off the ground and sit on a log. I got up slowly and heard a deer take off. Couldnt get a shot at that one either. I wasnt very far from the bank so I thought nothing would come behind me, WRONG. Next time, I will just sit on the swivel seat in the boat overlooking the woods. Maybe next time.

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well at least you picked a good spot to go hunting. did the catfish do you the same way?

5. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    only caught one cat, an 8lb flat. The rest were gar. Guess it was a bad spot.

6. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    i love floating the river with buckshot about an hour before dark. deer just dont seem to care if you float up to em.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i didnt think you could hunt from a boat( thats moving) for deer. really dont know about your area but you might want to check on that pony.

8. WHISKER BENDER

WHISKER BENDER New Member

State:
    n.c.
    If i'm not mistaken,I think the reg. book states that you can't shoot from a boat while it's under power.Could be wrong.

9. Cutter

Cutter New Member

State:
    Hickory, NC
    Heres a quote from the NC Hunting regulations.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    That just means that you cant shoot a deer or any game from a boat that is still moving from the engine, or trolling motor. If your floating with the current you are not under propulsion and would be legal.

11. ponykilr

ponykilr New Member

State:
    North Carolina

correct, thanks jay